Results of my new A/C

Little over a month ago I had the 2 systems replaced in my house and at the same time replaced the windows with double pane, low-E.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172589

Had a few issues with the installation and setup but it all has been worked out. Just wanted to post up the first months electrical usage, as this was one of the reasons we decided to change out the old equipment. (Our main reason was for comfort, the old upstairs unit just couldn't keep up well during a hot day here.

Anyway, I am using one portable dehumidifier downstairs (earth berm home), and so far this summer the house stays a constant 74 to 75 degrees with RH between 46% to 48%.

Here's a graph of our weather for June/July 2007 and the same time 2008.

It appears the average temp in 08 has been higher than 2007. Our house is now very comfortable and total electrical use dropped from 2800 kwh during that time in 07 to 2108 kwh in 08. Nothing else has changed as far day to day patterns, no other appliance changes, etc...

There may be a lot of other factors to look at, but so far I am happy to have a cool and relatively dry house along with a 25% reduction in electrical use.

I am glad to hear you are happy with the new equipment.

We need small low cost KW meters on all air conditioning & heat pump systems, however, the weather including the humidity, wind velocity & direction, would all have to be factored in to achieve any ball-park comparisons.

Additionally, if anything is done to reduce air infiltration, or any heat-gain, the comparison is void.

Also IMO, the SEER Savings Charts should not be used in advertising illustrations (with the fine print added) or by contractors. Too many variables & too misleading; level up-front - with your customers. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by merciles View Post
    Little over a month ago I had the 2 systems replaced in my house and at the same time replaced the windows with double pane, low-E.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172589

Had a few issues with the installation and setup but it all has been worked out. Just wanted to post up the first months electrical usage, as this was one of the reasons we decided to change out the old equipment. (Our main reason was for comfort, the old upstairs unit just couldn't keep up well during a hot day here.

Anyway, I am using one portable dehumidifier downstairs (earth berm home), and so far this summer the house stays a constant 74 to 75 degrees with RH between 46% to 48%.

Here's a graph of our weather for June/July 2007 and the same time 2008.

It appears the average temp in 08 has been higher than 2007. Our house is now very comfortable and total electrical use dropped from 2800 kwh during that time in 07 to 2108 kwh in 08. Nothing else has changed as far day to day patterns, no other appliance changes, etc...

There may be a lot of other factors to look at, but so far I am happy to have a cool and relatively dry house along with a 25% reduction in electrical use.
    congratulations on the energy savings!! It feels great doesn't it!?!

Did adding the TXV's to the coils make the systems perform to the tech's satisfaction?

Yeah, changing to the txv's made all the difference. Not sure why they didn't ship with txv's from Lennox, but that is what resolved the problems.

Best I can remember he ended up with 21 degrees downstairs and 23 degrees upstairs differential but honestly I don't remember if that was the measured temp diff at the return/supply registers or the across the coils.

Our house now feels right, plus as a bonus, when I opened the electric bill yesterday I was nicely surprised.