Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To all the concern of toxic smoke. Yes this is a rigid rule in commercial buildings and codes tend to not enforce the 'combustibles in a plenum' on single family residential rules.

I believe icynene will burn when exposed to flame, but it does not sustain a flame itself.

Many places you can line wooden floor joists for a return duct, the electrican has romex running through the joists, there will be plastic pipe in there.

So I would hope he made it out of the house before his roof caught on fire.

The other way of looking at it is you draw a central return from a living room with a synthetic carpet. The extension chord for the Christmas tree lights catches the carpet on fire and and 55 toxic gases billowing from the carpet. This all gets sucked into the central return.

Are there many jurisidctions out there where they are forcing you to install duct mounted smoke detectors in homes to provide fan shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    To all the concern of toxic smoke. Yes this is a rigid rule in commercial buildings and codes tend to not enforce the 'combustibles in a plenum' on single family residential rules.

I believe icynene will burn when exposed to flame, but it does not sustain a flame itself.

Many places you can line wooden floor joists for a return duct, the electrican has romex running through the joists, there will be plastic pipe in there.

The other way of looking at it is you draw a central return from a living room with a synthetic carpet. The extension chord for the Christmas tree lights catches the carpet on fire and and 55 toxic gases billowing from the carpet. This all gets sucked into the central return.

Are there many jurisidctions out there where they are forcing you to install duct mounted smoke detectors in homes to provide fan shut down?
    Wow, Carnak, you went ahead and wrote what I left out of my earlier reply, thinking it would dilute what I had wanted to say. I had also written (prior to deletion) that I'm not aware of any widespread push to require duct smoke detectors on residential equipment. I was internally debating how an open return attic would behave in a fire vs. a standard attic mounted air handler with a central return in the hallway ceiling. Seems the spread of smoke would occur more or less the same with the blower running, but with open returns, the blower could not be running, and smoke/flames may enter the attic through any given return provision in the ceiling.

dewpoint is a calculated value, the software that you use with the data logger calculates it
    Thanks for posting the graph..

You make 40 to 50 mile an hour winds sound almost uneventfull.

Around here, the grocery stores would be emptied the day before.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Thanks for posting the graph..

You make 40 to 50 mile an hour winds sound almost uneventfull.

Around here, the grocery stores would be emptied the day before.
    Dodging that bullet shut me down for a week

You bring up a lot of good points. I used icynene in my new house and know that everything is sealed. Every hole drilled in this house was done by myself and every crack filled and caulked. When the time came for installing the HVAC my mechanical room got downsized because of the wife's idea that the kids needed a larger bathroom and by the time I got everything to go in this small room it got very tight. After thinking about options I did just what is being asked about in this thread and have no regrets.

This house has no wasted space as far as the attic goes. We used trusses that allowed rooms upstairs with very little room for supply ducts to begin with in the knee walls. If I had the room I would have ducted the return and would have in a single story home like the op has. My attic is not the typical attic space you would think of like in a single story home. I am not sold on the energy savings of conditioning a typical attic to the same degree as your home but maybe I'm wrong.

who sealed where the top wall plates meet the trusses?

Air moving through supply grilles is probably a 0.03" pressure drop, returns will be lower, but there is still a drop through them. You will have that same reduced pressure through out your attic, all along where the wall plates meet the trusses.

Is it a hip roof or do you have gable walls in there? Are the gable walls foamed as well?

Is it humid in the attic void?

Is the living space below dry?

This house has ICF walls on the back and right side. Everything else was foamed including the space between the trusses at the wall plate. Every joint between boards on the outside 6 inch stud walls was caulked then foamed. The porch was foamed above the outside wall on the house so the overhang is not included.

Quick question Traane.

Are those SS circs still hoilding up.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Quick question Traane.

Are those SS circs still hoilding up.
    So far but last time they were stuck after not running all summer. I have remembered to let them run once about a month ago just trying to prevent problems.

I wonder what happened to my pictures above. Looks like I am needing a refresher course on posting them. I used image shack but its obvious something went wrong.

I don't post pics so I can't tell you how to.

I have enough trouble with PDF attachments.
    Contractor locator map

I think I see my problem.

Last edited by trane; 07-19-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

Still not working right.
    Contractor locator map

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast