Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the reply. Also, I'll be reasonable when the company tech comes out to try and help me.

I'm a contractor myself, and I don't plan on letting him explain away my problem with technical lingo. If he has professional options to offer, I will consider them.

Otherwise, I'll just find another HVAC contractor who will at least try and deal straight with me, (me not knowing as much as you guys).

BTW..the living room is a slanted ceiling with no crawl space. No place to even step to put another vent anywhere there, unless I want twins. That's OK. I was even thinking of putting a small vent in the hallway. Maybe not, lol. There's crawl space access over at my dining room. Wow, that might actually be a good idea. It would take the load of that little vent that serves both my kitchen and dining room.

First things first. I will let you know what he addresses when he shows up.

Nothing wrong with 2 supplies side by side. With possible exception of looks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ya, I suppose, lol. I'm getting us off track.

Question...if I want to just concentrate on reducing the sound of that big vent in my living room...it is possible I could reduce the sound of the ocean by
    utilizng what little attic space I have and run a longer duct to that living room vent?

Noone actually addressed this possible remedy. I'd be willing to order insulated acoustical larger (if deemed advisable) ducting.

It's not that huge a deal, but I kinda have set a challenge to at least try and reduce the db's to a gentler sounding ocean waves breaking on the beach, lol.

I bet most here deal with bigger dwellings where my concerns don't come up very often.
    So have tolerance and sympathy...empathy if you have that too.

I totally dig my Carrier slimline 38HDR. Damn...I am sitting 2 feet from it and cannot hear it thru a large single pane sliding glass window. I never considered the noise coming from the
    inside unit.

Increasing its length should reduce sound some. How much is a guess.
    But, as you increase that ducts length, you decrease the amount of air that room gets. And increase all the other rooms. possibly making youor bedroom louder.
    Contractor locator map

That's OK Beenthere. I am not those that need an AC to sleep at night.
    My bedroom ceiling fan on high speed cooled my sweat down so well, even
    when it was really hot hot. Maybe in the morning, I would like it to kick on while I awake.

The thing is BeenThere, that large duct from the plenum is about next to nothing from there to my living room vent. Transferring all the noise.

Again, my main noise concern is not my bedroom, nor my bathroom or second small bedroom/office.
    It's where I spend most of my "AC" time I care about reducing noise. The living room and dining room.

Also...as undetermined as the one duct leading to my living room is (not shown in pics), it's probably not undersized. It's as big as the ones that feed the smaller vents, that's pretty good sized, it appears to me.

I think the issue here is the close proximity of that large adequate duct that feeds my living room from the plenum, thus easily transferring sound. Like less than 2 feet, heh.

That is because the grille is too small.
    Contractor locator map

Than again...my living room isn't an office building, nor do I want vents resembling that.

I know this is rarely an answer to a noise problem, but can the tech come in and slow down the blower motor just for the AC?

Did it phase any here that I could stand back 8' from the register and feel my hair blowing in the wind?

I've tried to minimize the blower fan noise coming from a large return duct HVAC closet.
    I lessend that...to a degree.

I posted pics of my attic. Including the main noise I am bugged with. The seemingly well sized and very very short duct from the plenum to the living room.

Run that ONE duct longer (if I can, to reduce noise where I "AC" most, my living room) or what?

Can I get some views on that possibility? I've reply posted at least 15 times to help you help me.

Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post

Did it phase any here that I could stand back 8' from the register and feel my hair blowing in the wind?
    That is an indication of undersized ducts, or registers/grilles.

i dooubt your moving 800 CFM so as it is. Slowing the blower down, could cause the coil to freeze.

The tech will have to check current CFM.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That is an indication of undersized ducts, or registers/grilles.

i dooubt your moving 800 CFM so as it is. Slowing the blower down, could cause the coil to freeze.

The tech will have to check current CFM.
    As little as I know about HVAC..that is what I was concerned about too.

I don't believe my 2 Ton Carrier 38HDR is oversized for my 887 sq ft. condo.

I have a garage below both my living room and my bedroom. Take a guess as to where all that heat goes. As it is, even that 2 ton Carrier takes awhile to cool down my place.
    An 8'x6' living room window that, while not in the sun too long....still transmits ambient heat.
    To give you an idea...at midnight when it's cooling down to 69F outside, even with fans..it was 80F inside before AC. I do NOT regret getting that 2 ton quiet Carrier 38HDR condenser.
    The Carrier 38HDR works like a champ so far. Cycles on just when it's supposed to, not excessively.

The airflow seems somewhat excessive out my living room large vent, along with the noise.
    Mostly it's the noise. That waves breaking on the beach noise, lol.
    Maybe that comes with an 887 sq. ft. condo with the whole unit in the hallway closet.

It's kinda simple. A small condo. Plenum connects to ducts that aren't longer than 12 ft. at the most. Noise is bound to be transmitted.

I was asking how/what I can do to minimize that transfer of sound from the blower motor/whatever on such a short run of duct work.

Move? Not untill the housing market improves.

Also, it's interesting that some acoustic techs (not AC techs) have a decible meter in their kit.

Not a bad idea.

Just one other thing. Flexible insulated acoustical ducting for AC. Not a peep about it here.
    Not that it applies to my situation. Tiny perforations on the interior of a flex insulated duct.
    It's supposed to do well absorbing sound from the blower motor and other sounds transmitted thru an AC duct.

Accustical duct is resrtictive.

Again, the noise is from undersizing the ducts and grilles.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12