Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Longer duct runs to lessen noise in small condo?

My condo is 887 sq. ft with the furnace/evaporator in a small hall closet with the air return below it (by design).

2 Ton Carrier 38HDR and Carrier Performance 80 furnace. The 2 bedroom 1
    bath has only 5 registers and the return (which is plenty big).

I know the circumstances with having a small condo and everything in a small hallway closet. Howerver, I just feel there is more I can do to lessen the
    noise coming thru the duct work. The duct work is flex insulated, but the
    thing is...there's such a short run from the plenum to each of the 5 registers.

This causes a louder noise than I would like. Not extremely bad, but somewhat like the distant sound of the ocean roaring coming thru the ducts.
    I've done about as much sound absorbing at the large cavity return under the furnace. The company tech is coming out tomorrow afternoon to look at it.

I'll have him check the CFM because when I stand 8 ft. back from the large living room register up near the ceiling...it actually blows my hair back, and moves my vertical blinds quite a bit.
    It cools the unit well, and everything is working fine.

I'm mulling over maybe having the duct lengths extended and using flex
    insulated acoutical ducting, the kind with perforations inside. I'm thinking
    extending the duct runs might help with the ocean sound. Thoughts?

I realize the limiting factor of having HVAC in a small condo hall closet, but I'm determined to at least attempt some quieting.

Any help appreciated before he arrives tomorrow afternoon. Thanks guys.

The noise is most likely more from the ducts being undersized, then just because they are short.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The noise is most likely more from the ducts being undersized, then just because they are short.
    Thanks for the reply. I have a digital camera and it's no sweat to get up in the attic and snap some pics. I hope you'll reply afterwards.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have a digital camera and it's no sweat to get up in the attic and snap some pics. I hope you'll reply afterwards.
    Include the return and the grilles!

I'm mulling over maybe having the duct lengths extended and using flex
    insulated acoutical ducting, the kind with perforations inside. I'm thinking
    extending the duct runs might help with the ocean sound. Thoughts?
    Attenuating flex duct is certainly an option. The longer the length the better the chances you will have at squelching your ocean sound. From what I read though, room to extend your attenuating ducting may be the real issue. Good luck.

have him check your static pressure before messing with duct.

Talking

if you post your duct size and length and register size and typ it may help. some one may be able to help you determin if your duct work is properly sized and maybe equipment is correct. It does sound like under sized duct but mor info is needed to make a proper diagnoses of your system, your contractor shuld be able to help you with that, without being there its hard to tell without a lot of info???.... I wish you the best of luck.

Coming up with pics in a few momemts...attics. ducts.

Hang on.

Coming up with pics in a few momemts...attics. ducts.

Hang on.
    I'm staying up

Here are the pics requested. There's one large duct not seen in the pic behind the plenum. It's beefy big and goes to my living room vent. Immediately near the plenum! That may be the one to concentrate on quieting.
    The big one at attic access goes to my bedroom to the right and to ajoining bathroom.

Actually guys...I spend most of my AC time in my living/dining room area. That's
    where I would like the noise decreased. I don't really care about the noise in my bedroom, which by the way, has a large vent as it is the same floor plan as my living room. My 2nd bedroom/ office? Again not a major concern.

I squeezed the plastic insulation wrap, and even tho they look big and beefy, the acutal diameter of the duct seemed not that large, but I could be very wrong.

Southern California, relatively mild temps.

A combination of undersized ducts, and undersized supply grilles.

Thats a guess, I can't tell what the size of the ducts are from the picks.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A combination of undersized ducts, and undersized supply grilles.

Thats a guess, I can't tell what the size of the ducts are from the picks.
    Ya, I know...it was like squeezing Charmin tissue paper as they were so well thickly wrapped.

The vents sizes? 3- 12"x6" for the smaller rooms... 2 that are 16"x8". One in the living room, one in the bedroom which has the same floor play layout as my living room.

I agree with you about the lack of attic space to extend ALL ductwork, but I would at least like to concentrate on the sound of the living room vent and the small size of the dining room/kitchen vent.
    That one smaller vent has to serve both my kitchen and moderately small sized dining room.

I'm not at all unhappy at having purchased the 2 ton Carrier 38HDR. My condo unit is located above 2 garages (quiet garages). My little condo retains heat. I believe 2 ton was the right choice. I am somewhat dismayed that I can sit at my pc 2 feet a window and outside is a quiet running Carrier 38HDR. Inside is a somewhat mild ocean roar from everything else about my AC.

Another thing...it'll take about 10 minutes for that Carrier Performance 80 series to heat up my condo in winter. When it gets chilly, I'll get up from my couch and gladly fire it up again.
    Why to I have to deal with 2 small jet engines taking off, to heat up a small condo?

Can that Carrier Performance 80 series furnace be somehow set to just start and stay with the
    slower second stage upon fire up?

Buying heating and cooling for 2 bedroom condos these days is such bull****, I can' believe it.

Nothing wrong with 2 supplies side by side. With possible exception of looks.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast