Pipe Bender and Expander
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pipe Bender and Expander

These 2 tools removed a bunch of copper off my truck not to mention the time and money saved by using them:

The copper I removed from my truck:

No more digging through containers now all I have left (1/4" - 1"1/8) fits in a nice Plano Tackle box:

I still need to cut the box up a little. Just haven't got to that point yet.

get a life

I used to use a plano container for my fittings... well, back when i used to carry a large number of fittings anyway. Now I hardly ever need any fittings since I do service.

I'd love to get an expander some day, they look pretty handy... maybe Santa won't forget this year? lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

My expander kit came in yesterday and I have not used it yet other than trying it out.I still keep fittings in my van,but I have not used them all summer.I always used my swagging tools along with my bender.I tried an expander at a supply house and it was so easier than what I had been using.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

So they do a good job on hard copper? I only use my bender on soft copper....I still have 1/2, 3/8, and 7/8 elbows in my truck for hard copper installs, also my R-Line bender (same as yours) has a WIDE radius...maybe thats changed though.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by coolnorth View Post
    So they do a good job on hard copper? I only use my bender on soft copper....I still have 1/2, 3/8, and 7/8 elbows in my truck for hard copper installs, also my R-Line bender (same as yours) has a WIDE radius...maybe thats changed though.

Cheers
    You have to anneal hard copper before using it.

Quote Originally Posted by -459FZPE View Post
    You have to anneal hard copper before using it.
    Ya thats easy to do in the field during an install....

He's right.. I mean you gotta drag your torch in an everything to anneal them.... oh wait, you should already have it in there for the brazing

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of resi copper is soft coper (linesets) not hard copper, so it's likely not going to be a big issue
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

2 comments... Get the reverve benders and the 3/8 will suck on the x-spander.......I hate it when I have to use a fitting anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    2 comments... Get the reverve benders and the 3/8 will suck on the x-spander.......I hate it when I have to use a fitting anymore...
    I'd like the reverse bender but it costs as much as the whole kit cost me. Maybe in the future some time. I also have one of those small imperial 3 line hand benders. 3/8 is cake with that thing

The reverser is worth it...With the regular setup, the ratchet handle is in the inside of the radius, with the reverser it is on the outside..I probably use the regular about 80% of the time,but when you need the other its worth it..Shop around for the prices, I believe I got the rev for about 85.00...

Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    The reverser is worth it...With the regular setup, the ratchet handle is in the inside of the radius, with the reverser it is on the outside..I probably use the regular about 80% of the time,but when you need the other its worth it..Shop around for the prices, I believe I got the rev for about 85.00...
    I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    He's right.. I mean you gotta drag your torch in an everything to anneal them.... oh wait, you should already have it in there for the brazing

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of resi copper is soft coper (linesets) not hard copper, so it's likely not going to be a big issue
    I figured that he did resi, as he mentioned the bender allowed him to get rid of his fittings...

I do commercial and still use that same bender for ductless splits that are installed in commercial applications.....Great tool for soft copper.....but annealing on a jobsite.....ummm no thanks....for me anyways.

I like the yellow Jacket to my R-Line though....the plastic fittings dont bind as much as my metal ones.

Happy bending!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast