Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes I am in PECO land (Montgomery County, PA) I think half of folks the next neighborhood over have heat pumps. I'll keep that in mind as an option.

Your point about the R22 mismatch when the a/c goes is why I'm guessing that the options are either temporarily "patch" the rusted pan or end up replacing most or all of the system.

The York Stellar 90% heat exchanger has a history of problems. Primarily cracks found in the top portion of the exchanger where the burner flame enters. Have a professional remove the burner box or use a bore scope to inspect and ensure your safety.

Cracks seem to be more common in the Stellars WITHOUT the heater assisted fan/limit control.

20 year old units... time to replace...

PA? That isn't even a state.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    We use the formula, cost of repair times age of unit , if it exceds the cost of a new unit replace the unit.
    While my dual-fuel upgrade met that criterium, as a consumer, I wouldn't use that formula.

As a sales technique, I wonder what you say to justify the reasoning behind that formula.

I'm not curious about what YOUR reasoning really is behind that formula. That part, I already understand.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by Philly814 View Post
    I asked him and it was not a York. It was going to be a company I never heard of before....with a plastic pan instead of metal.
    Nothing wrong with that. Plastic never rusts. I would be on-hand to make sure the installer doesn't crack it as it goes in.

I am definitely having more folks out, but only those that will do an in-home estimate for free so I don't shell out a ton just for "estimates." Unfortunately, most of the York dealers in my area want a decent fee just to come out....
    I'm sure you'll get your money's worth on those free quotes.

My saving grace may be a reputable friend-of-a-friend who has his own HVAC business and said he will take a look and warned me not to get "swindled" by some of the folks out there...
    One position I would hate to be in, is to owe someone a favor every time I needed something fixed.

-HF

Try Dave at Christian.They are honest and do great work and many people on here have used them and have been happy.Tell him the GURU sent u!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Smile

I looked at the Christian website...looks like a solid business. I will give them a call per your advice in addition to the other appointment I have.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12