Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help- Fix Cond Pan or Replace full 20yr old unit

I have an original 20 year old York Stellar Plus 90% efficiency furnace 120K BTU that now has a rusted condensate pan. Other than that, the heat and a/c (4 ton) have had no problems- house is 2 story single family in Philadelphia area about 2700 sq ft including 2/3 finished basement.

A local NATE tech (happened to specialize in Carrier) gave me 2 options:
    Buy a new A-coil (4 ton) R22
    or
    A full replacement package: carrier 4 ton 15 seer outdoor unit, carrier performance 93 (120,0000 BTU furnace) and humidifier

Both estimates seemed very high to me- my friends in Ohio just got a brand new full Trane xR90 and similar outdoor unit (their house is slightly bigger than mine) and full cost was 40% less.

I am having another guy come out- unless there is a very cheap fix I don't want to throw away substantial dollars on a this problem only to have to replace the other furnace and outside units soon....

Any guidance or things to consider/look out for??? Thanks!
    Last edited by Philly814; 07-17-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly814 View Post

Any guidance??? Thanks!
    Remove pricing, then the boys will be around to discuss this .

remove prices as stated earlier and get more quotes.

I have an original 20 year old York 90% efficiency furnace 120K BTU that now has a rusted condensate pan. Other than that, the heat and a/c have had no problems.

Quote today from local certified Carrier tech gave me 2 options:
    $XXk for a new A-coil (4 ton) R22
    or
    $XXK for a full replacement package: carrier 4 ton 15 seer outdoor unit, carrier performance 93 (120,0000 BTU furnace) and humidifier
    You made the mistake of calling a Carrier dealer to fix a York.

If all that is wrong with your system is a rusted condensate pan, call a York dealer and have them replace it.

And please, look up a paragraph at the "No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules" text.

You can get better pricing by getting several quotes, with a heat gain/loss calculation done. You must have a big leaky old house in a cold area... or an oversized system.

-HF

Sorry- edited the post per rules......

We use the formula, cost of repair times age of unit , if it exceds the cost of a new unit replace the unit.

Did he give you a price on a Carrier, or York coil.

Before you replace your system. Get a load calc done. 120,000 90% furnace. Sounds a bit large.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I asked him and it was not a York. It was going to be a company I never heard of before....with a plastic pan instead of metal.

I am definitely having more folks out, but only those that will do an in-home estimate for free so I don't shell out a ton just for "estimates." Unfortunately, most of the York dealers in my area want a decent fee just to come out....

My saving grace may be a reputable friend-of-a-friend who has his own HVAC business and said he will take a look and warned me not to get "swindled" by some of the folks out there...

I asked him and it was not a York. It was going to be a company I never heard of before....with a plastic pan instead of metal.

I am definitely having more folks out, but only those that will do an in-home estimate for free so I don't shell out a ton just for "estimates." Unfortunately, most of the York dealers in my area want a decent fee just to come out....

My saving grace may be a reputable friend-of-a-friend who has his own HVAC business and said he will take a look and warned me not to get "swindled" by some of the folks out there...
    I'd be real careful of a "free" anything from anybody. The friend of a friend is the best route.

Ask that friend of a friend to do the load calc for you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Make sure whoever does anything does a full load calc. You might be surprised what size equipment your house really needs. With todays utility costs oversized equipment is a doubly bad investment (comfort is lower also).
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Thanks for all the advice- bottom line is it sounds like a load calc is a must. As a bonus, maybe I can get a temporary fix for the condensate pan...if not, at least I will have some solid data via the calc to understand what I need when looking at replacements.

I've also read the other threads stressing that the installer quality and rep is almost more important than what brand they put in.

York does not that part anymore and if you do the coil it will be a 13 SEER coil that uses r-22 ,then when your a/c goes it will not match the NEW system,and you really do not want to use an r-22 coil with 410a. Put in a HYBRID HEAT if in PECO land save BIG bucks and a way more comfortable house.Post your part of eAGLE country and some of us may be able to guide you or do the work.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast