Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10

    Heat pump not cooling or heating well

    I bought a home that is 6 years old. The house isn't cooling or heating as it should. Also the rooms do not heat evenly. Some rooms are noticeable colder than others. I went under the house and noticed that the return line to the heat pump was OFF! I reconnected it and cleaned the outside coil, it had quite a bit of dust and dirt built up. Neither one of these things seemed to help much. Any ideas on what might be the culprit for this poor heating/cooling house.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    With the duct off for who knows how long,the evaporator coil ,and blower likely need cleaning.

    This is the indoor coil,although if it's a package unit,it would be inside the package unit.Really should have a Pro do a clean and check service and see what other problems ,if any you might have.
    Last edited by dash; 02-10-2007 at 04:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/DE area
    Posts
    1,535
    I would make sure it is running right and start from there!!!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,548
    Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT View Post
    I bought a home that is 6 years old. The house isn't cooling or heating as it should. Also the rooms do not heat evenly. Some rooms are noticeable colder than others. I went under the house and noticed that the return line to the heat pump was OFF! I reconnected it and cleaned the outside coil, it had quite a bit of dust and dirt built up. Neither one of these things seemed to help much. Any ideas on what might be the culprit for this poor heating/cooling house.

    You need a service call. There are so many things it could be,too numerous to list. Just don't call the installing contractor if his ductwork has already come off. JMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

  5. #5
    Reminds me of the squirel in the return air looking up at me.... it was a trailer package unit..... here's a question that you might consider.... remember all refrigeration has to do with exchanging heat..... How close to the return air grill is your dryer vent?.....love those calls in the spring.... condenser coil is so dirty that I need to get out my "tech" tool...... it is a hydronic heat exchanger....... (garden hose)...... wash coil collect .... after all I did have to use my HHE tool

    Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 07-20-2008 at 10:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    You need a service call. There are so many things it could be,too numerous to list. Just don't call the installing contractor if his ductwork has already come off. JMO.
    I am going to have someone come out Monday. Its xxx for them to diagnose the problem.


    Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 07-20-2008 at 10:39 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT View Post
    I am going to have someone come out Monday. Its xxx for them to diagnose the problem.

    Tell them the return duct was off for some time.

    Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 07-20-2008 at 10:39 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10
    The compressor is bad. The guy said he wouldn't even take my money because he didn't feel like he earned it. So I guess thats a plus.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster,Ohio
    Posts
    464
    If your service man didn't know that he deserved the cheap xxx diag fee, chances are he mis-diagnosed the "bad compressor". He spent money showing up to your house, he carried his tools to the unit and opened it up, he spent time testing the system and compondents, was he under your house too? He put it all back together, put his tools away. How long was he there? All that for xxx and he said "I don't deserve it". You need another service man that is worth his wage!!

    Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 07-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    IcyFlame

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by icyflame View Post
    If your service man didn't know that he deserved the cheap $55.00 diag fee, chances are he mis-diagnosed the "bad compressor". He spent money showing up to your house, he carried his tools to the unit and opened it up, he spent time testing the system and compondents, was he under your house too? He put it all back together, put his tools away. How long was he there? All that for xxx and he said "I don't deserve it". You need another service man that is worth his wage!!
    Sorry to bring up a old post....


    The guy was right it was the compressor. I paid someone else to come out and they replaced the unit for $x this is after they came to the same diagnosis as the other guy. Perhaps the 1st guy was just showing some Southern Hospitality.

    Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 07-20-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event