Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manitowoc puzzler

Had a call a couple weeks ago for a S model Mani. I think S042A. Not making ice. Owner said when the machine messed up his water pump was bad so he installed a new water pump. When I put the machine in ICE position I noticed the CLEAN light stayed lit on the board continuously. they had a Q model, I think Q037A that was not working and not even connected. I pulled the board and put it in the S model. The machine cycled normally and it dropped a load of ice in 23 minutes which is normal. They called today and said it is not making ice and overflowing into the bin. I go out and try to run a load of ice. It went into harvest in about 10 minutes and dropped no ice. (of course) I checked the sensor for slime. It was clean but pretty close to evap. I adjusted the sensor and cycled the machine. I timed each cycle and it was right on the money. I dropped two loads of ice and got good ice both loads about 23 minutes. I told the owner to watch the machine and if it repeated the problem to note if it was actually filling.
    They called back and said about 2 hours after I left it started acting goofy and the fill valve was opening and staying open. I am going back tomorrow. Any suggestions? since the fill valve is controlled ny the board I am wondering if the used board has a glitch. About 8 months ago I replaced the water inlet valve on this machine as it would not open. I have had lots of problems with that on the newer valve. I have NEVER had one stick open and then close when the machine is turned off. Any ideas?

if the unit was set into clean mode and turned off when u turn it back on it will continue in clean mode until a full clean and rinse cycle is complete. i think its like four or 5times filling and dumping. sometimes u can turn it off then back to ice and that takes it out of clean mode. check your water pressure. jbb

jt is right. If you (or the customer) puts the machine into clean and then you switch it to ice. It will not make ice until it finishes the clean cycle. You should have not replaced the board to begin with. Also, did you make sure the board from the other machine would work correctly before you put it in?

Sounds like the water solenoid is sticking try swapping it out with the one in the other unit

Q board in a S model???

Quote Originally Posted by mdnbiker View Post
    Q board in a S model???

My thoughts too.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Manatowac tech support 1-800-545-5720 these guys are great

I would look into the Q board in an S model. Call Mani and see what they says about it.

I would also check the dump valve and the inlet valves. Make sure they are operating as required....

Also check the bin sensor. The little magnetic switch on the bottom of the curtain. We have had a few where the curtain didn't close all the way and then would open back up ever so slightly during the freeze cycle and would shut the machine off.

My bets would be the ice thickness probe first. What I do in this case is remove the probe and set it out of the evap so no water could ever touch it.....then let it run and see what it does.

Good luck. Let us know what ya find. So we can add it to our arsenal out in the field
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Want to see where this goes.....should be interesting

just a question. would the optional automatic cleaning system that mounts on the machine and dumps chemicals affect it at all? It is unplugged now but I wonder if it was part of the original problem. I'll see if he has the original board and re-install it.

The dump and pump out works fine. curtain works fine and the thickness sensor work fine. I watch the lights and time the cycles and it is all according to Mani book. I should know more tomorrow if I can get back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    just a question. would the optional automatic cleaning system that mounts on the machine and dumps chemicals affect it at all? It is unplugged now but I wonder if it was part of the original problem. I'll see if he has the original board and re-install it.

The dump and pump out works fine. curtain works fine and the thickness sensor work fine. I watch the lights and time the cycles and it is all according to Mani book. I should know more tomorrow if I can get back out there.
    You might be right.

If a machine has a Aucs connected and the unit was cleaning (clean light stuck on) there is no way to revert to ice making.

No Way
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Pleale tell us how to install a Q board in a S machine. I could carry one less board.

I do mostly hoshis. The boards in both machines appeared identical. perhaps someone put an S model board in the Q model and that is why that machine doesn;t work. I haven't done anything to that machine, I only know they told me it doesn't work and they wanted me to focus on the big machine for now.
    The mani site won;t let me download the service manual so I'll stop by the shop and get mine tomorrow.

Would removing power to the machine clear the board of the clean input?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast