Residential equipment in a mobile home ?

I have been working on re-doing an old guy's house system from propane to heat pump.

He (OF COURSE!!! <g>) has been gabbing with all his neighbors - telling them what I have said. One of them agrees and wants the same thing - so they can get rid of their oil furnace. But . . . . they live in what looks like a mobile home to me. Although it has a peaked roof and no trailer tongue sticking out the front. I just got off the phone with them and what they are describing to me as their furnace sounds like an oil-fired mobile home unit - setting in an open-front hall 'closet', air filter mounted on the front door of the furnace, down-flow with no return ducts.

So my question is: I am installing a residential heat pump condensing unit, matching air handler and evap coil, and electric heat strip for the original customer.

The people across the street now want the same thing. Can I install that same equipment? Even though the oil-to-HP conversion is a mobile home? Do the mobile home specific regulations only apply to fossil-fueled heating systems? Or to heat pumps too?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

How can you install the same equipment twice.

Why are you asking these questions in the resi forum?

Yes, it has been done.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well; it would be separate pieces of equipment <g>

And obviously different capacity. Although . . . . maybe not - I haven't done more than notice their 'house' from across the street. It seems smaller in my mind's eye, although maybe the length makes up for the lack of width.

Or wait - am I misunderstanding your question? <g>
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have been working on re-doing an old guy's house system from propane to heat pump.

He (OF COURSE!!! <g>) has been gabbing with all his neighbors - telling them what I have said. One of them agrees and wants the same thing - so they can get rid of their oil furnace. But . . . . they live in what looks like a mobile home to me. Although it has a peaked roof and no trailer tongue sticking out the front. I just got off the phone with them and what they are describing to me as their furnace sounds like an oil-fired mobile home unit - setting in an open-front hall 'closet', air filter mounted on the front door of the furnace, down-flow with no return ducts.

So my question is: I am installing a residential heat pump condensing unit, matching air handler and evap coil, and electric heat strip for the original customer.

The people across the street now want the same thing. Can I install that same equipment? Even though the oil-to-HP conversion is a mobile home? Do the mobile home specific regulations only apply to fossil-fueled heating systems? Or to heat pumps too?
    sometimes - the blower on the mobile home unit is set up to handle higher static pressures than what is normally found in a residential unit. You will have to check the duct work to see if it is suitable.

Make sure you use the extension piece to keep the Air handler far enough above combustable flooring.
    Contractor locator map

But . . . . they live in what looks like a mobile home to me. Although it has a peaked roof and no trailer tongue sticking out the front. I just got off the phone with them and what they are describing to me as their furnace sounds like an oil-fired mobile home unit - setting in an open-front hall 'closet', air filter mounted on the front door of the furnace, down-flow with no return ducts.
    Are you confusing a mobile home with a prefab/modular/manufactured home?

Mobile homes have different zoning, usually requiring them to keep their wheels on the premises, if not on the home. Some localities require non-permanent foundations. Older ones are aluminum or fibreglass.

Prefabs might have the same size, usually come in single-wide (10' x 40') or double-wide (20'x40), are set on real foundations. Once assembled, they are structurally not much different from a small rancher. One local to me has a full basement.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    sometimes - the blower on the mobile home unit is set up to handle higher static pressures than what is normally found in a residential unit. You will have to check the duct work to see if it is suitable.
    I agree, the ductwork in a lot of the older mobile homes was a continuous run of 3 1/4" x 12" from one end to the other with registers tapped into it in each room.

It does have vinyl siding (or aluminum) on it

I was just assuming from the shape, and the way they described the furnace that it was a mobile home.

But it's the wheels which make the difference?

PHM
    --------

QUOTE=hangfirew8;1930220]Are you confusing a mobile home with a prefab/modular/manufactured home?

Mobile homes have different zoning, usually requiring them to keep their wheels on the premises, if not on the home. Some localities require non-permanent foundations. Older ones are aluminum or fibreglass.

Prefabs might have the same size, usually come in single-wide (10' x 40') or double-wide (20'x40), are set on real foundations. Once assembled, they are structurally not much different from a small rancher. One local to me has a full basement.

-HF[/QUOTE]
    PHM
    --------

I was just assuming from the shape, and the way they described the furnace that it was a mobile home.

But it's the wheels which make the difference?
    Zoning-wise, that's what could make the difference, but that has nothing to do with proper selection of an HVAC unit.

If it's stud frame construction with on a poured concrete foundation with asphalt shingles, treat it like any rancher.

If it's aluminum walled, treat it like a Mobile home.

If it's something in between, you'll have to go figure.

-HF

I have more news!

I went over and looked at the place today and they had dug out the as-built drawings and specs on the place.

The maker gives the U at 0.06 for the walls. Isn't that about a 15-16 R? Which is a pretty decent wall number. Ceiling U is 0.04 which isn't horrible either.

The spec sheets also state that the air distribution system is designed for 39,600 BTU's at 0.3 static or greater. Which sounds like "mobile home blower" grade ductwork to me.

So: 1320 CFM at that static? I wonder what it would be with 800 CFM? <g>
    PHM
    --------

I went over and looked at the place today and they had dug out the as-built drawings and specs on the place.

The maker gives the U at 0.06 for the walls. Isn't that about a 15-16 R? Which is a pretty decent wall number. Ceiling U is 0.04 which isn't horrible either.

The spec sheets also state that the air distribution system is designed for 39,600 BTU's at 0.3 static or greater. Which sounds like "mobile home blower" grade ductwork to me.

So: 1320 CFM at that static? I wonder what it would be with 800 CFM? <g>
    .11"
    Contractor locator map

We've taken air handlers that were downflow's and put them under the trailer and turned the old closet space into a return. The the trailerowner got a little extra storage space on top of that.

It's getting worse by the minute

First; I am thinking that if the electric strips mount too close to the bottom/floor I can install an empty coil box under the air handler to space it up. Then add a return off the top to a filter grille on the wall. So that's all cool.

But now they have both passed that Heating Cost Comparison Sheet around to the point where every neighbor for a block in each direction wants to install a high performance heat pump and get off propane and oil.

I get along well with the local WeatherKing guy, but to get above a 14 SEER he has to switch over to Rheem - which more than doubles my cost. So I'm thinking of going with my current next-favorite brand, which is Goodman, to get 16 SEER.
    Shame that Goodman does not do a two-speed compressor. Be nice to use some of those Bristol TS units I think.
    PHM
    --------