+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siemens PXC Controller

Post Likes

Siemens PXC Controller

Ran into the first PXC controller I've seen. Information is hard to come by on the Siemens site. It looks like you need software called Desigo Toolset and a new cable for the HMI port to configure it. Gone are the days of hyperterminal and the MMI port. Any information will be much appreciated.

Southeastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland
    Post Likes

PXC

The PXC compact has replaced the MEC and the PXC modular is a din rail controller. You can communicate with Hyperterminal thru the HMI port same as the legacy Siemens controllers. The HMI port is just the PC MMI port. Human Machine Interface compared to Man Machine Interface

Post Likes
    The PXC Compact has not replaced the MEC yet, no FLN's. The MBC has been retired or is on its way this year and basically replaced by the modular (very simular in that it is buildable only much smaller). Both controllers fit on din rail however the compact has holes to be mounted with screws. You still use Hyperterminal to communicate. There is a slight difference in the db9 in that there are 2 groves on each side. I don't know how old your MMI cable is but these are the only ones available now-a-days, you can get a pack of db9's from walmart and just replace the ends they should allready have the grooves. I've also been told the old db9's do cause problems I don't remeber what the problem was I just trusted that someone found this out the hard way. They do have a USB port on them, on the compact this is for a printer I've been told on the modular you can use a USB cable you pick up from walmart or radio shack etc and communicate with hyperterminal. Just change com port settings in hyperterminal The reasoning for this is they say the computer industry is trying to move away from serial ports.

Post Likes
    One of the reasons I like Siemens Controls is because you can hook up to their main panels without having to have special software. All that is required is a terminal (laptop or handheld) and use any dumb terminal emulator. My preference is Procomm Plus but most people use Hyper Terminal. Or you can actually use a dumb terminal. The PXC still allows you to hook up this way and the menus still look something like an MBC but a little different. And yes as somebody already said........ the port is now called an HMI port and not an MMI port.

Post Likes
    IF you have WCIS you can also use this program for terminal emulation.

Post Likes
    The PXC Compact Controller is a global product, used with both APOGEE (mostly US) and DESIGO (mostly Europe).

It is available as a 16 point or 24 point unit (US) and as a 12 point or 22 point unit (EU).
    There are also extended temperature versions of the US models, which are rated for operation from -40C to +70C.

The Compact Controllers are also available in a BACnet version

Currently the Compact only has a USB device port, which may be used (depending upon the firmware revision) as a HMI port. I do not beleive that it is officially supported yet.

The PXC Modular Controller also has a USB Device port, but also has a USB Host port, to support modem and printer functionality.

The issue with the cables is related to the RJ12 connectors used for the MMI/HMI ports.
    The conectors in most MBC, MEC, and PXC controllers is an eight pin RJ12. The connectors on the MMI/HMI cables is a 6 pin connector. If the 6 pin connector does not have the groves for the other 2 pins it can mash down the contacts in the controller's connector.

Post Likes

pxc

Last time I worked on one I used hyperterminal and the MMI port.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by talbtimber View Post
    The PXC Compact has not replaced the MEC yet, no FLN's.
    The PXC Compact now has FLN support.

There is a slight difference in the db9 in that there are 2 grooves on each side.
    Reference to DB9 = Standard RJ12 phone jack connector.

They do have a USB port on them, on the compact this is for a printer I've been told on the modular you can use a USB cable you pick up from walmart or radio shack etc and communicate with hyperterminal.
    If the controller has a "B" type USB receptacle (looks like a square with two corners chopped off), then you can use an "A to B" USB cable to run HyperTerminal. However, this method requires a special driver that allows your PC to recognize the field panel as a virtual COM port. Panel upload/download and firmware flashing is not recommended via this interface just yet...

Post Likes
    pxc16
    pxc24
    pxc36

PXC24.2-FPE.A
    PXC36-FPE.A both is fln

Post Likes
    Can PXC work with a router to communicate with MSTP devices on another network or it only can function on the same network and needs some kind of proxy in order to talk to the devices on another network?

Post Likes
    When other BACnet devices are referenced in code (see http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....82#post5416082), the PXC will send out a Who-Is or Who-Has as appropriate to see if the device/point is accessible. Communicating between networks shouldn't be an issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ntech64 View Post
    When other BACnet devices are referenced in code (see http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....82#post5416082), the PXC will send out a Who-Is or Who-Has as appropriate to see if the device/point is accessible. Communicating between networks shouldn't be an issue.
    So PXC modular and PXC compact both have network layer? Because Siemens states for PXC compact that it "Features Ethernet/IP and BACnet/IP options" http://www.buildingtechnologies.siem...c_compact.aspx

while nothing about it for PXC modular http://www.buildingtechnologies.siem...c_compact.aspx

So I would like to know if both of them have network layers e.g. communicate with devices on other network.

Post Likes
    The Compact and Modular both have these options for "ALN" communication (to other field panels or the operator workstation): Siemens P2 Protocol, Siemens P2 Ethernet (P3), BACnet/IP, or BACnet MSTP.

The Compact has fixed/attached I/O, is limited to a maximum of one FLN, and has limited processing and memory capabilities. The Modular has modular I/O, 3 FLNs, and more processing and memory capabilities.

The FLNs for the panels can talk Siemens P1 Protocol, BACnet MSTP, and some other integration protocols including Modbus.

Post Likes
    Thank you ntech64 - it was very useful information!!

Post Likes
    The PXC Controller can work with RS485 BLN and BLN Ethernet in the same time?

Post Likes
    The PXC Modular, the PXC 36, and the second generation of the PXC 24 ( the one that has both a 485 and an ethernet connection on it) can be used as an AEM with the correct license. That means that the panel can be the single ethernet connection for a P2 trunk, and route the P2 messages from the server to the rest of the 485 panels. This is only available for the Siemens P2 network, not for the Bacnet Network.
    On the Bacnet side of the world, the above panels can be Bacnet routers, talking Bacnet IP on the ethernet, and Bacnet MSTP on the 485.

Post Likes
    Thanks Daramoe!!!!

Do you know the exactly Part number that I have to ask?

Post Likes
    For which one? In each of the controllers, the P2 and the bacnet are different part numbers as they are different firmware loads.

Post Likes
    The P2 with AEM.

Post Likes
    For the PXC 24:
    Part Numer PXC24.2-PEF.A

or

For the PXC 36:
    Base Panel
    Part number PXC36-PE.A
    P2, 36 points

or

Full Panel PXC 36
    Part Number PXC36-PEF.A
    P2, 36 points, I/O, FLN

For any of the above, to enable the Virtual AEM, you will also need part number LSM-VAEM

To install and enable the license, your Siemens rep will have to know the ID number of the panel you are going to install it on. It's on the box the controller is shipped in, it's available through the HMI prompt, and it's available through Insight.

The licenses are generated by Home Office and are based on that ID number. The license is a text file that can be typed in from the HMI, or installed from an Insight 3.91 or higher.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in