Post Likes

Remote access to a Delta Controls eBCON controller without a fixed IP address

I'm helping the Paroisse La Résurrection, a Catholic parish, in Brossard, Qc, Canada.

We have an energy management system based on the Delta Controls eBCON controller in one of our building.
    We have a remote communication "problem" with our controller (Delta Controls eBCON), and I'm looking for a more technical expert/ressource to help me to find a solution (or confirms that there is no solution).

The problem is related to the "obligation" to use a fixed IP address (and not a URL) to contact the controller, and also to the obligation to give the controller a proxy IP address. I would like to use a URL and a DDNS, avoiding to use a fixed IP address to remotely talk to the controller.

Could someone help me to with that matter and maybe find a solution (or conclude that there is no solution)?

Thanks,

GH

Post Likes
    I have used this service in the past:

https://www.dnsdynamic.org/

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    I have used this service in the past:

kontrol out
    Thanks.

If fact, and I was not clear about that, the problem is that the parameter I have to enter in the remote/client program is an IP address (as long as I know, no way to enter a URL).

GH

Post Likes
    Just get DDNS and just type the url into a resolver to get the IP address, something like this:
    http://tracert.com/resolver

then use it in the entelliweb or whatever delta is using as application nowadays.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    Just get DDNS and just type the url into a resolver to get the IP address, something like this:
    tracert.com/resolver

then use it in the entelliweb or whatever delta is using as application nowadays.

good luck.

You are right, that could be a direction.
    Stays one problem. One of the parameters of the eBCON is the IP proxy address. This address is also the external address provided by the ISP. I don't know why this has to be entered, but it is part of the parameters and it cannot be changed remotely...

GH

Post Likes
    I don't know eBCON, but may be enter the same IP address in both parameters. What DDNS is providing you is the external IP address as far as I know.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by huotg01 View Post

You are right, that could be a direction.
    Stays one problem. One of the parameters of the eBCON is the IP proxy address. This address is also the external address provided by the ISP. I don't know why this has to be entered, but it is part of the parameters and it cannot be changed remotely...

GH
    Due to NAT, it needs to know where to reply to. That was an issue with DynamicDNS, whenever your external (proxy) IP address changed the system had to be configured for the new address.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE