Embalming room
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embalming room

Embalming room

I am biding out a small funeral home with an embalming room. I was wondering if anyone has much experience with them and could help me out as far as cooling them and ventilation needs. tthanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jhaak View Post
    I am biding out a small funeral home with an embalming room. I was wondering if anyone has much experience with them and could help me out as far as cooling them and ventilation needs. tthanks for the help.
    There are several funeral directors associations that have ventilation and hvac recommendations. Ask the funeral home director if they have a membership and they can get you the info. I did this once in the past and got what I needed.

Not sure about cooling but years ago I helped the director move a body and a $5 tip.
    Tracers work both ways.

Wink

Jhaak,
    Beleive it or not I never had a comlplaint for someone in the embaling room!
    It's a good business, it never dies!!! LOL!!

All kidding aside I have had some experience in some hospital areas like this. Ventilation is a major concern here. Your going to need some outside air in this room. Make sure your unit is capable of handling the O.A. load. You may also have to treat the incomming air also. Take your O.A. temp and humidity into consideration.
    Last edited by mrhvacmechanic; 07-17-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "My hands are for sale"

You will need lots of fresh air, the one mortuary we service regularly uses 100% fresh air and is sized accordingly for that.

Though this wasnt our design, so I would suggest what the poster above said and see if the association has the requirements, if noone else has them here.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    You will need lots of fresh air, the one mortuary we service regularly uses 100% fresh air and is sized accordingly for that.
    Exactly right. The exposure levels on the MSDS for Formlin dictactes 100% OA with exhaust or else the room occupants will be quickly joining the customers.

I agree with the outside air requirements. Also consider a separate unit just for the embalming room. The smaller funeral homes spend a lot of time in just the embalming room and probably won't want to cool down the entire funeral home when they don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by jackt View Post
    I agree with the outside air requirements. Also consider a separate unit just for the embalming room. The smaller funeral homes spend a lot of time in just the embalming room and probably won't want to cool down the entire funeral home when they don't need to.
    That's exactly how the one I work on is set up. 100% OA seperate AHU just for the "prep" room.

I not sure if I would go with 100% outside air continuously. Good outside air exchange is mostly needed when the embalming is being done. After that is completed a lot more time is spent prepping the body (make up, cleaning, clothing). Depending on funds, size, and location, I would consider controlling the amount of fresh air and interlock it with an exhaust blower. You may create a lot more problems with temperature and humidity if you use 100% outside air all the time. The unit would need to be designed and set up for all the temperature ranges in your area. Extra cooling on the real hot humid days and a lot of extra heat in the winter months.

The funeral home we started svc'ing works it pretty simple by manually switching the ventalation on during prep work. I dont know the specs they used (if they actually did) but the ventalation is large enough to change the air in that room rather quickly. Room is conditioned by it's own equipment. The equipment is sized large enough for the air change. It's really a pretty small room considering the size of the place so it's pretty easy to manage.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

If I was working in there, I would like 100% OA in there due to the possible Pathogens from the bodies that could be present. Just remember these are not healthy people....

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Just remember these are not healthy people....
    Now thats funny
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I asked my buddy about required air changes in a prep room. He advised me 12 times an hr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast