Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the reason your dad ran the car a/c was because it was belt driven and had a seal that could dry out and start leaking.

we don't have that on residential units.........

njbillt..I'm regular member not a pro, but have just installed a zone system...that is not really running that well.

In hindsight, I would rather have 2 units, but didn't want to spend the extra cash...now I wish I would have.

From what I've read here, the Carrier seems like the way to go. I have a Trane and the dump zone is causing all types of tuning issues...bottom line, if I could sell this system for 1/2 of what I paid for it I would do it tomorrow and install a different brand. I will never buy Trane again

Also--make sure you do a lot of homework on your contractor. Have them go over in detail how the system really works before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    I'd personally go with the Carrier zoning with one system.

If putting two complete systems in is done for nothing more than to provide for redundancy incase of a failure of one of them, then what happens if the power goes out due to a bad storm and you don't get power back for days? Following the same logic I guess a standby generator for this possible scenerio would be a good idea. What if the frigerator goes out? Have a spare just incase? All I'm saying is that for a small price you could go out and buy a half dozen electric heaters to keep around just incase your heat goes down and for some reason it can't be fixed within a couple of days. If the air conditioning goes down a nice day or two stay at a hotel with a pool would be a cheap option to purchasing two systems to be maintained.

Just my opinion.
    Or as has been mentioned on this site before, get a couple of window shakers and store in garage in case a 1 system situation fails!

Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    I'd stick with the 2 seperate systems. Better control of the house and cheaper to operate. Why fire up the monster 5 ton unit to cool off a 1 of 4 zones? While the rest goes out the relief dampers? You run one system on one floor without running the other.....well you know since you already have that setup. The 2 smaller units combined current is probably lower than the 5 ton unit itself. If one system fails and/or needs replacing, it's cheaper to replace than the one 5 ton. My 2 cents
    If I wasn't considering the hybrid heat pump system I would just get 2 new heaters and AC units. I'm afraid 2 heat pumps and heaters would be too expensive. I do like the redundancy though. Ideally, a heat pump/gas hybrid for the downstairs, where I am when the temp is best for a heat pump during the day, and a regular gas furnace/AC unit for the upstairs where the bedrooms are where I am only at night, when it's most likely too cold for the heat pump to run ... Does this make sense? There's no way this 2 system set up costs less than one 5 ton.

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    I will never buy Trane again

Also--make sure you do a lot of homework on your contractor. Have them go over in detail how the system really works before you buy.
    Its not Tranes fault the salesman mislead you.
    Trane has equipment that will do what you want.
    Your contractor, just didn't sell you that equipment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by njbillt View Post
    Does this make sense? There's no way this 2 system set up costs less than one 5 ton.
    If your going to set the temp back on the second floor during the day, and want quick recovery, yes.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its not Tranes fault the salesman mislead you.
    Trane has equipment that will do what you want.
    Your contractor, just didn't sell you that equipment.
    Beenthere...if there is something else from Trane, please let me know

You have been incredibly helpful and are a sure expert in this area. However, it appears that to me that a bypass damper is a much less efficient way to control things than to be able to control fan speed. Why dump air into the return instead of into the house? My guess is that solution was put into place before the sophistication of today's motor control technology--but I'm sure I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by heatpumpguru View Post
    Carrier 5 ton 3400 sq ft home with ARZEL and 4 zones sweet. I had to use existing ductwork and I have seamless comfort. I keep the PRICNESS wing at 76 and the SWEATY KING at 72 and first floor and basement zone are at 72ish without running.
    I'm jealous...my brand new 4 ton trane can barely keep by 2000 sq ft house at 75 on a hot day

Alittle late now.
    But Trane has the comfortlink system.

I forget the name of their technology that had the ability to control blower speed.
    Weather the old tech could do as much as you want or not I can't say.

I still think that much of the trouble is that your installer doesn't have your system wired correctly, or set up right.

When in first stage, you shouldn't have loud air noises.
    And comfort r should be enabled.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by njbillt View Post
    Does this make sense? There's no way this 2 system set up costs less than one 5 ton.

it will absolutely cost more than a single 5 ton system.

between the higher efficiency of the smaller systems and the longer run times of a properly sized unit i think you will be better off in the long run.

i would get someone to run the #s for you, heat pump for the second floor would probably still be a good idea the way our utility rates are going.

where at in nj?

I am also in Burlington County, in Southampton township.

we are lennox dealers, e mail in profile if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    I'm jealous...my brand new 4 ton trane can barely keep by 2000 sq ft house at 75 on a hot day
    Let me add a little salt...
    I cool my 3 zone, 2000sq ft home with a 2 ton a/c. Two zones 1st level and one zone 2nd floor. Here is some data from the Heat PumPro board that is rather enlightening about zoning;

Min ODT 78 deg f
    Max ODT 91 deg f
    Avg ODT 84 deg f

Total Run Time - 39 hrs
    2nd stg Blower- Y2 38 % (Y1 only 62%)

Serving Zone 1 (1st fl Main) 3 %
    Serving Zone 2 (1st fl kitch) 38 %
    Serving Zone 3 (2nd fl Bd Rms) 62 %

Serving Single Zone 70 %
    Serving Two Zones 29 %
    Serving All Three Zones 1 %

The zoning allows for a focused effort of supplying cooling capacity to the parts of the house that have higher loads. The lower load zones (1st fl Main) tend to remain at set-point not stealing capacity that can be used for the hard to cool/heat areas.
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast