Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    You should know by now, we don't talk price.

2 stage is used in a lot of non zoned systems.

What makes you think scrolls have been around longer then recips?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Frown To Air or not to Air that is the question

I have just found this site and would like your opinion and guidance on how to judge the following proposal.

My home has Air Con. only on the 2nd floor, bedrooms, the air unit is outside and the air handler in the attic. The system is about 20 years old and needs replacing. The heating system is in the basement and is a gas GE furnace about 25+ years and would like to replace it with a new and more efficient system.

After a visit and measurements of area upstairs, downstairs, and counting of windows. I was given this quote:

Main Floor: 1-#AUH100R ultra high efficiency Am. Stan. "Freedom 95" gas furnace rated 95% with variable-speed indoor fan motor
    system.
    1-#4A7A3036 3-ton, Am. Stand. Allegiance 13 seer central cooling unit ref. R-410A.

Upper Floor: 1-#4A6H3036 3-ton Am. Stand. heat pump.

What is the difference between a dual system and a 2-stage operation?
    I understand from your postings I need to make sure that I do not get an over sized unit.
    The square feet up-stairs is equal to the square feet down-stairs. Upstairs, there are 3-bed, 2-bath and 2-large walk-in closets. How do I make sure that the 3-ton up and down is ok and not 3-ton down-stairs and 2.1/2 ton up-stairs better?
    Does the Am. Stand. Allegiance Air have a dual stage compressor? If not, should I get one that has it?
    To heat the upstairs is the Heat Pump a good suggestion? Is there an other way to go?

Any feedback you can give me is appreciated.

Okay. Well, I wasn't asking specific pricing, just a general question about the 2 types of compressors. I said in my original post I wanted to be an informed consumer before I purchase and it's only because Carrier offers both that it a consideration. I read several articles about the 2 types. One was on this forum. http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=105187 and there is a good explanation on Wiki-pedia too, and again, there are pros and cons to both. I don't want that to be the focus of this thread because I have gotten a lot of good insight from you pros. I can't find the part about it being a more proven technology, and may be mistaken about that. I was surprised how many people have the same concern though. Just Google scroll vs. reciprocating and you'll see. beenthere, I believe you are the one that informed me Carrier used the Bristol TS and I have to tell you, after going to their web site, I was fascinated by the ingenuity of the design. It left me wondering, does a reciprocating compressor have to be 50% or 100%? Do both pistons have to be the same displacement? Just wondering.

Currently, they are only available in 50/100.

I think in other displacements like 60/100, or 40/100, there would be a balance problem.
    They would have to add weight to the smaller piston.
    Could also cause flucuations in pressure when both pistons are used, due to higher volume of refrigerant being 1 piston/cylinder is larger.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by onegreywolf View Post
    I have just found this site and would like your opinion and guidance on how to judge the following proposal.
    Any feedback you can give me is appreciated.
    Get more estimates.
    Screen the contractors over the phone, to make sure they are going to run a load calc.

I think the one you have is flawed.

Start your own thread, too confusing when you hi jack a thread.
    Contractor locator map

Frown

I apologize for interrupting a thread. Thank you for your reply.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234