Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Utility Bed/Body

I like the utility body idea, but I would want to be able to lock all bins with a push of a button, anyone know if keyless entry can be retro fitted on a not new box?
    Still learning opinions welcome.

if it was a company that makes the same box with keyless set up you may be able to buy the parts.

looking at all tha solenoids and linkages on my knapheide i would not want to try and reproduce it....

I think it would be a real pain in the butt to do, but did not know if someone had already solved the problem.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Don't they usually have bar that slides in to lock all the doors on the side with one padlock?

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    Don't they usually have bar that slides in to lock all the doors on the side with one padlock?

i have seen trucks with what looks like an aftermarket set up that runs a round bar with latches welded on the length of the cabinets. spin the bar and the latch grabs each door then a padlock is put in the end.

not as cool as keyless but probably a lot easier to fabricate.

I put a Knapheide service body on my F350 last year and am completely satisfied with it. I got the locking system and the top tray that opens. Best 7k investment Ive spent in a while. Im much more organized, secure and weatherproof.
    Look at the Knapheide latches before you buy another brand. They are much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by garnerac View Post
    I put a Knapheide service body on my F350 last year and am completely satisfied with it. I got the locking system and the top tray that opens. Best 7k investment Ive spent in a while. Im much more organized, secure and weatherproof.
    Look at the Knapheide latches before you buy another brand. They are much nicer.
    How about some pics?

Definitely go with a knapheide body. They're stronger, heavier and more durable, and the door latches are top knotch. I've had mine since 94 and it still works just fine and keeps the water out. Over the years, I've only had to replace the door gaskets once, and put new locks in about 5 years ago. Next year I think I'll be looking into replacing this body with a new one, and a PLocks kit is right at the top of the list.

We're all beer drinkin, garage hackin' gear heads around here and keeping the older trucks going along and looking good is like a weekend hobby. (No computers and easy/cheap to fix, and no God forsaken 1000 buck payment), no to mention better mileage/reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    How about some pics?
    Excuse the dirt and debris. We nornally keep them squeaky clean. The only thing I dont like out of all the things I DO like is that the cabinets are not deep enough for my VETO bag. I have to keep it in my backseat. No big deal really.
    I dont do as much install work as my crews do so this is perfect for minor service and very basic installs.

Last edited by garnerac; 07-18-2008 at 08:07 PM.

We have 2 Vans with the enclosed style knapheide body on them that the install teams use. They are pretty nice and you don't have to crawl through the van to get your stuff.

We've got one of those too. The "KUV" they call it. Built like a tank and a great rolling billboard.

Quote Originally Posted by garnerac View Post
    We've got one of those too. The "KUV" they call it. Built like a tank and a great rolling billboard.
    Yep in fact you reminded me, when we first got them one of the installers left a side door down and it sliced right threw my personal trucks bed when he backed up. of course no damage to the KUV.

Boy was I pissed

I drove a covered utility type bed on a Chevrolet truck for 3 years and loved it. Plenty of room for everything. I had to use a small ladder to get the ladders off the top of it, but other than that, it was a great truck. I moved from it into a Chevrolet with the Knapheide body and as someone has already mentioned, the bins just aren't very deep. My Veto had to be stowed away because it wouldn't fit either. Both of those had the bar that you turned to lock all the doors, but I have a electrician friend that has a utility bed with power locks. I don't recall the brand, but it is very nice to be able to lock everything with the push of a button rather than having to walk all the way around the truck each time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast