Question which central air unit is best

I have been quoted on four units by three very good installers my house will be 1985 sqft living with 12 drops off of a trunkline on each quote. i was quoted a goodmen 5ton 14 seer a whirlpool 4 ton 16seer and an fridgedare 4ton 16seer also fridgeadare 4 ton 14seer all variable speed

You've left a ton of info out

Quote Originally Posted by rmartin View Post
    I have been quoted on four units by three very good installers my house will be 1985 sqft living with 12 drops off of a trunkline on each quote. i was quoted a goodmen 5ton 14 seer a whirlpool 4 ton 16seer and an fridgedare 4ton 16seer also fridgeadare 4 ton 14seer all variable speed
    Frigidaire and Whirlpool are the same company-Nordyne. I have read some really good things about that company.
    You'll prolly get a few ppl bashing the Goodman, but i'd put one in my home in a NY minute.

Go w/the best installer. All your equipment is good

Whirlpool actually isn't a Nordyne product, but I can see how one would get confused with those appliance brands being associated with Nordyne HVAC products.

http://www.whirlpoolhvac.com/

So Frigidaire and Tappan are Nordyne products

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Whirlpool actually isn't a Nordyne product, but I can see how one would get confused with those appliance brands being associated with Nordyne HVAC products.

http://www.whirlpoolhvac.com/
    and Whirlpool is just sold by the company or in its distribution network?

I don't think Whirlpool is related to Nordyne at all. Take a look at your own thread: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173426.

These higher SEER units have never impressed me too much. If you're considering 14 vs. 16 SEER, look at it this way: If I'm doing the math right, for every $14 you spend running a 16 SEER unit, you'll spend $16 running a 14 SEER unit. In other words, it would probably take quite a while for the 16 SEER to pay you back. Also, a 13 SEER in the cheapest & worst name brand, provided it's properly installed, should give you a good 20 years of comfort.

2 stage units are for comfort, not savings.

Of course. That could change if everybodies electric rates double in the next few years.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere, I suppose you are right. Of course, where I work ("crack town"), these "finer points of comfort" are never even considered. My customers usually just ask "What would it take for you to hook up this unit I 'found' the other day..." And to top things off, I work for a guy who believes 24 volt transformers on furnaces are DC; who believes that a unit that won't come on period just needs freon; who believes...etc...etc. So I guess I'm fairly jaded.