Thread: new trane air hander hum when unit is off

Post Likes

new trane air hander hum when unit is off

Yesterday, I had an ac change-out and installation of a new Trane 3.5 ton straight ac outside compressor unit 4TTR3042A, and indoor air handler unit 4TEC3F42, which replaced an 18-year-old Reem. The new Trane works fine, except for a hum coming from the air handler unit, that's audible in the livingroom when the unit is off (turned off by the automatic temperature control), or with the "heat -off - cool" switch physically turned to "off."

There was no air handler hum when off, with the old Reem unit replaced, or with other central ac units I've owned in other homes in the past.

1) Is the hum with the new Trane unit caused by a poorly wired hookup? 2) Is the hum caused by an incompatibility between the air handler and the White Rogers thermostat installed? or 3) Is the hum caused by a poor design in the Trane unit wiring itself, that supplies electricity directly to a transformer, without going through a relay that's controlled by the thermostat?

Post Likes

if its bothering you, call the installer, maybe they can do something to queit the t-former down

Post Likes

See... You should have bought a GOODMAN

That "Hum" you hear could be something serious. Could you "Hum" us a few bars, maybe we could figure out what it’s trying to say... Like the famous line from OZ, "Oil Me"....

Or maybe the operating transformer is just louse and one turn if the screw will stop it... Thank God you didn’t tell us how much you paid to be annoyed by this "hum"…

This could never happen on a Goodman unit.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by heatkits View Post
    This could never happen on a Goodman unit.
    what is the hidden message you are trying to send about Goodman?

Post Likes

Just making a joke...

I'm a certified Goodman repair center/dealer and have been for 15 years. I find Goodman just a well built and reliable as anything else on the market.

I take exception to the guys who would have believe Trane is the best... At least Goodman doesn’t whore their product through Home Depot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatkits View Post
    At least Goodman doesn’t whore their product through Home Depot.
    But, they would if they could. Just like any other company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    if its bothering you, call the installer, maybe they can do something to queit the t-former down

I agree. Sounds like the transformer to me too.

Post Likes
    At least Goodman doesn’t whore their product through Home Depot.

I do belive they did once upon a time w/ EVERSTAR brand

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cstreet View Post
    3) Is the hum caused by a poor design in the Trane unit wiring itself, that supplies electricity directly to a transformer, without going through a relay that's controlled by the thermostat?
    If it didn't supply electric directly to the transformer. The stat wouldn't get 24 volts to control anything.

Just call your contractor.
    Could be a loose mounting screw.
    Or may need an isolator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in