Thread: Damage Control

Post Likes

Damage Control

I am a new home buyer, with no knowledge of HVAC systems, today while hosing down wasp nests around my carport, I sprayed water for maybe 2 minutes at a perforated metal carport/house ceiling panel which serves as an air intake to my home HVAC system. This became clear to me after I noticed a considerable amount of water on the concrete floor in the basement, the water was dripping from a ceiling air vent and a fluorescent fixture. Also there is an 8 foot one inch wide wet spot in the ceiling sheetrock. Any tips on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pgjopop View Post
    I am a new home buyer, with no knowledge of HVAC systems, today while hosing down wasp nests around my carport, I sprayed water for maybe 2 minutes at a perforated metal carport/house ceiling panel which serves as an air intake to my home HVAC system. This became clear to me after I noticed a considerable amount of water on the concrete floor in the basement, the water was dripping from a ceiling air vent and a fluorescent fixture. Also there is an 8 foot one inch wide wet spot in the ceiling sheetrock. Any tips on how to proceed would be appreciated.
    Pull the filter, is it wet? Open the door to the Air Handler, is there water inside? If so, turn off the circuit breaker and call a pro.

Trace the duct from the air handler to the leak. Any other vents? Pull the registers off/out. Any water?

If the water is just in the duct work and not in the equipment, you may want to put the fan on "run" and let it dry things out.

-HF

Post Likes
    Sounds more like an attic vent opening than a HVAC intake vent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in