Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Central Air not cooling the house

Our air did not seem to be cooling the house very well. The vents blow cool air, but not cold. I had a repairman come out and tell us the compressor was bad. It was under warranty so I paid about $Pricing Removed for it to be installed. This seemed to work for about a month. He asked if we had changed the filter and we have changed it. The problem is that when we bought the house, there was no filter in it and I worry how long the previous owner went without one (the whole unit is only 2 years old). Repairman acted like this could have been what shot the compressor.

The air worked ok for about a month and then we started having the same problems. I don't know much about central air, but from what I have read he probably should have checked the air handler and cleaned that out. We also have noticed that one bedroom does not cool like the rest of the house, so I wonder if there is a problem with the duct work.

Same repairman comes back and we noticed there is oil at the bottom of the outside unit. He mumbled something about maybe he didn't solder it correctly. He sprays soapy water and shows me where it is bubbling and the leak is. Knowing nothing about these systems (and as well as not being mechanically inclined) I am not sure if it was his fault or not. He said that there is no reason a 2 year old unit should be having as many problems as mine is having and he is going to see if Goodman will replace the whole outdoor unit. He tells me to call him the next day and by then he will have an answer. He says even if they won't replace everything, the could repair the leak.

I call him the next day and he says that they will only replace the unit within 30 days. This doesn't seem very long and I would think it would be a year (although I would still be out of luck). He said that they would replace the condensor coils, but they guy didn't know if he had any in stock. I told him to call me when he found out.

No call yesterday while I wait around all day. I called twice today and left messages and no call again. I am going to call someone else tommorrow.

Any ideas what could be wrong? What should I ask the new repairman? I think that I will ask whoever comes to clean out the air handler. It doesn't sound too complicated, but with my luck and ability I would break something. Why would there be oil at the bottom of the outside unit? Where would it come from?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-16-2008 at 11:32 PM.

One other thing. I wondered if it might be freezing up. There was no ice on the outside lines. After I turned the A/C off, water started to pour out of the condensate line for 15-20 minutes or so. Usually water just comes out at a slow drip. Could this mean the the evaporator could be clogged and it is freezing there?

Very possible. He should have checked the indoor coil from the start. As much as i hate to tell you this. If the system was leaking refrigerant, then that could have been your only problem (besides the coil) after the compressor replacement. If he botched the joints..then it IS his fault. But the way he has conducted business (from what you have explained) I wouldnt let this guy change my filter. Check the NATE.org web site and find a local contractor. Its guys like this that make people skiddish of the rest of us.

Where is the inside unit located? Can you get to and see if evaporator is freezing?

Quote Originally Posted by RLEE2344 View Post
    Very possible. He should have checked the indoor coil from the start. As much as i hate to tell you this. If the system was leaking refrigerant, then that could have been your only problem (besides the coil) after the compressor replacement. If he botched the joints..then it IS his fault. But the way he has conducted business (from what you have explained) I wouldnt let this guy change my filter. Check the NATE.org web site and find a local contractor. Its guys like this that make people skiddish of the rest of us.
    It just frustrates the heck out of me that he won't even return my call. Tell me something...coil is not in stock...you don't feel like doing the job....you are too busy with other jobs...something. I'm not hard to please.

He used to have his own business. For some reason he doesn't. He works for a commercial place now and does this on the side. I'm now curious why that is.

So what do you think I should have done? Have the indoor coil cleaned first? I'm wondering now if the compressor really needed changed or if the indoor coils just needed cleaned.

Should I ask if just the leak on the outdoor coil can be fixed? I've already put over $500 into this and would not like to put another huge amount of cash into replacing the outdoor coils if possible.

Our maintenance man is going to come over and take a look hopefully tomorrow and give me a recommendation. He knows who to trust in the area for electricians, hvac, etc. but I will give that website a look as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jogalloway View Post
    Where is the inside unit located? Can you get to and see if evaporator is freezing?
    It is in the attic. I guess I could, but I'm not really even sure where I would be looking. I haven't had the air on this past week waiting for someone to come fix it.

Even if it does need cleaned, I would assume that something on the outside unit is wrong and still needs fixed if there is oil at the the bottom of the unit, correct?

It didn't leak before he changed the air compressor, so the question is if it is his fault or just a coincidence.

If the leak is on the joint, then it can be fixed. As for knowing if the compressor was correctly diagnosed....to late to tell. just start over. But fixing a leak and cleaning an evap coil is'nt cheap. i hate this happened to you but take it as a learning experience. There probably IS a good reason he lost his business. Be more picky on who you let in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by RLEE2344 View Post
    If the leak is on the joint, then it can be fixed.
    I would assume it is since he told me he could just fix it. If that is the case, wouldn't that probably mean it was his fault?

More than likely. Like i said..you will be better off to find someome more trst worthy for the job. Just cut you loss and start over. If he is as bad as he sounds...He will cost you more money from his mistakes. Find someone to do it right and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by austinsm11 View Post
    It just frustrates the heck out of me that he won't even return my call. Tell me something...coil is not in stock...you don't feel like doing the job....you are too busy with other jobs...something. I'm not hard to please.

He used to have his own business. For some reason he doesn't. He works for a commercial place now and does this on the side. I'm now curious why that is.

So what do you think I should have done? Have the indoor coil cleaned first? I'm wondering now if the compressor really needed changed or if the indoor coils just needed cleaned.

Should I ask if just the leak on the outdoor coil can be fixed? I've already put over $500 into this and would not like to put another huge amount of cash into replacing the outdoor coils if possible.

Our maintenance man is going to come over and take a look hopefully tomorrow and give me a recommendation. He knows who to trust in the area for electricians, hvac, etc. but I will give that website a look as well.

Thanks
    Thats what you get for using a side jobber.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Guess what? .......There may be a filter in the attic.....It may be clogged.....If there is not a filter in the attic, your unit froze up due to being low on refrigerant.

Sounds like from your description that the compressor was probably bad.

He changed it and a year later something sprung a leak. This froze your unit up and explains all the water coming out the drain.

Have another "company" find out if the coil is dirty and if the filter is in the attic. Then get them to check for the leak.

Most leaks can be repaired. It just depends on where the leak is.

Be prepaired to spend some money.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Thats what you get for using a side jobber.
    that's a broad brush stroke.

I think it was more luck of the draw.

could just of easily had been an hourly paid certified but incompetent 'pro', working on da clock, who does poor work.........or.........could just of easily had been a competent, thorough, hard working young man working 'on the side' to help make ends meet at home while trying to get a start on going into his own service business.

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    Guess what? .......There may be a filter in the attic.....It may be clogged.....If there is not a filter in the attic, your unit froze up due to being low on refrigerant.
    Interesting. He told me there is no filter in the attic. I guess that would be strange for him to know considering he never went up there.

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    He changed it and a year later something sprung a leak. This froze your unit up and explains all the water coming out the drain.
    It wasn't a year later, it was a month later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast