Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R22 phase out-compressors?

Post Likes

R22 phase out-compressors?

I know that the equipment will stop being made in 2010, but I am not sure if replacement compressors will still be available and be manufactured. They still make R12 compressors don't they?
    There will be a lot of pissed off people if every time a compressor goes out they have to change out their lineset, unit and coil. Money is to be made!

Post Likes
    You will still be able to get parts for R-22 units after 2010. Expensive they will be.

Post Likes
    While the price of R-22 will go up on 2010, and the main reason is no new R-22 will be made.

The parts and equipment will still be there for a few years, but its just gonna cost more. And what R-22 that is sold will most likely be stuff that was recycled, once all the virgin stocks are depleted.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes
    IN 2010 R22 may go. And R410A may sky rocket as the demand for it doubles.

R22 compressors will still be made, and available for many years yet. And they won't be anymore expensive then an R410A compressor.

I can get R12 compressors for the same basic price as an R134A compressor.

Any contractor that tells you mechanical parts for R22 systems are going to be expensive, is just using scare tatics.

Post Likes
    r-22 will be manufactured until 2020, but the amount that is made will be reduced. in 2010 they will stop making equipment with r-22. the price of r-410A is actually coming down right now because the patent recently expired. the price of r-22 will soon exceed the price of r-410A

Post Likes
    I would think that the cost to manufacture an R22 vs. R410 compressor will still be very close. Only horse's arse's would try to gouge somebody, risking losing business, most in this industry aren't stupid. You have to take into account that most of the time when a compressor croaks and it isn't in warranty, the unit gets replaced and most compressors will run for a while, its a low percentage that die. And just because you change from 22 to 410 does NOT mean you have to change the lineset.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    I know that the equipment will stop being made in 2010, but I am not sure if replacement compressors will still be available and be manufactured. They still make R12 compressors don't they?
    There will be a lot of pissed off people if every time a compressor goes out they have to change out their lineset, unit and coil. Money is to be made!
    As several have said R22 compressors will be available. The manufactures have to have compressors ( warranty parts) available until the warranty period is up. It doesn't mean they will be readily available, but they'll be available. Like many HVAC parts, as the demand dwindles supply houses will still carry them, just not as many as they once did. I still keep parts for units that haven't been made since the late 80's and early 90's but that shelf space shrinks every year. Heck I've got NOS parts that haven't been made for years, original control boards, defrost boards, etc etc..
    whaaaaa, you let all the smoke out

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Why couldn't you just use a 410 compressor on 22 ?

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dsfitzgerald7 View Post
    r-22 will be manufactured until 2020, but the amount that is made will be reduced. in 2010 they will stop making equipment with r-22. the price of r-410A is actually coming down right now because the patent recently expired. the price of r-22 will soon exceed the price of r-410A

Its just about there already. I am paying about the same per jug of 410a as i am for R-22

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I'm hoping you're joking. Otherwise how did you become a professional member?

Post Likes
    possible ,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    possible ,
    Different Oil is the biggest reason. If I'm not mistaken, 22 uses mineral oil and 410a uses an hydroscopic oil that absorbs moisture rapidly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I would think that the cost to manufacture an R22 vs. R410 compressor will still be very close. Only horse's arse's would try to gouge somebody, risking losing business, most in this industry aren't stupid. You have to take into account that most of the time when a compressor croaks and it isn't in warranty, the unit gets replaced and most compressors will run for a while, its a low percentage that die. And just because you change from 22 to 410 does NOT mean you have to change the lineset.
    Perhaps we can elaborate on this a little. The two refrigerants use a different oil, so you have to either change the lineset or flush the old one with something like R-11. Those flush kits are about 75 bucks now. Linesets are high, but they are scraping high too! Is there some other way that I don't know about?

Post Likes
    Keep price references out of the open resi forum.

Post Likes
    R410A compressor pumps less gas by weight per ton then an R22 compressor. In the same tonnage system.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

Bmathews - I'm from NJ - Yo! How do you Think I did it? <g>

R-22 doesn't care what oil it has under it. For example; 22 runs fine in 404 compressors. And R-22 runs lower pressures than R-410 so the compressor would be perhaps less stressed than usual.

What is it about my speculation which astonishes you?

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I'm hoping you're joking. Otherwise how did you become a professional member?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes

beenthere - so

Does that mean that they wouldn't pump the R-22? Or that they would have a different performance curve when pumping 22?

How about by volume?

BTW: I mention these things academically; because so long as there is a market - R-22 compressors will be available. Look how long has 12 been gone and the 12 compressors are readily available, in-stock, right on the shelf.

QUOTE=beenthere;1929312]R410A compressor pumps less gas by weight per ton then an R22 compressor. In the same tonnage system.[/QUOTE]
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    PHM:

I think you have, or do some refrigeration also.

So you've seen more then one condenser come marked, suitable for R12, R22, R502.
    And if you checked. The capacity of the unit varied by not only the temp application, but by the refrigerant you used.

So I think you would have to increase the R410A compressor by 10 to 15&#37; to get the same BTU capacity.
    The coils of the R22 system would be designed for X pounds per minute. And the new compressor would have to move that many pounds to get the same BTU capacity.

Do you think it would be safe, to use a compressor for R22 that has a IR that exceeds 500 PSI

Post Likes

I think it would be safe enough; sure

How long have compressors had internal relief valves? I work on lots of them that still have none.

Speaking of compressors and refrigerants; I don't know if you are old enough to remember, but when R-502 first came out there were no R-502 compressors. What was used was an R-12 compressor. Which was always a lot of fun on a dead-flat system. <g>

And my thought most recently was: how much different is 410/22 versus 12/502 ?

So anyway; the 410 compressor would handle the lower pressures of 22 OK . . . . so long as the HP / pounds pumped per hour lined up pretty well. I've never looked at the numbers and doubt I will ever have to. But to answer the hypothetical question of what will we do if R-22 compressors are NLA - I thought to mention the possibility of using 410 compressors.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    PHM:

I think you have, or do some refrigeration also.

So you've seen more then one condenser come marked, suitable for R12, R22, R502.

And if you checked. The capacity of the unit varied by not only the temp application, but by the refrigerant you used.

So I think you would have to increase the R410A compressor by 10 to 15% to get the same BTU capacity.
    The coils of the R22 system would be designed for X pounds per minute. And the new compressor would have to move that many pounds to get the same BTU capacity.

Do you think it would be safe, to use a compressor for R22 that has a IR that exceeds 500 PSI
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    R12 to R502, the critical pressures are witin 10&#37; of each other.

I vaguely remember hearing about no 502 compressors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in