Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    I replaced my own system this past fall... tracked the electrical useage and am averaging a 34% reduction in my electric bill since we fired up the new system. That might not sound like much but over a period of 15-years...

Please don't think I want to give you a hard time but... it is not elementary how you measure this and I would like to ask your method. 34% is a big deal after all (I am a homeowner in S.Texas and paying 17 cents/kwh). One of the pitfalls I see is adjusting for weather, average conditions could be different in the before vs. after test periods. It is a rare electricity user who even goes as far as you do.

Myself, I got a 17.5 SEER combo installed at the beginning of summer 2007, and tried to track my own usage. Thought it would be good to attempt to normalize it by KWH per degree-day. My usage was *way* down but so far that I suspect my methodology was not good enough. That summer was actually mild and I think KWH is not linear with respect to degree-days. Still saving a lot of money, just not sure how much until another summer or two goes by.

Best wishes -- Pstu

Are option 1 & 2 still Duel Fuel systems?
    If you chose option 2 and its Duel Fuel, make sure you ge the variable speed furnace, or you won't get all the benefits of the 16 seer system.
    Regardless of which you choose between option 1 and 2 you'll save money over that 18 year old system.

I've sold several Rheem Duel Fuel setups over the last few months, including 3 16 seer Duel Fuels. For the older generation they like the fact they still get to keep their gas heat, but they like the energy savings they get from the heat pump.
    The Eco Friendly younger generation like the benefits of dehumidification, energy savings (gas and electric) and the ozone friendly refrigerant.
    whaaaaa, you let all the smoke out

Quote Originally Posted by climinthewall View Post
    I myself would go with a new unit rather than gamble on a used compressor.
    Unless the cost of the used compressor is free.
    The higher the seer the more efficient, however it will probably take a little more time to pay off with its higher cost. So, the next thing you should consider is how long do you plan to live in that house?
    If you are going to sell it in, say, 5 years, will you still be paying on the loan.
    but, The better the equipment the more attractive the sale of the house but it doesn't usually bring up the homes value.
    So everything is a trade off one advantage for another.
    Getting more bids on the issue is never a bad idea also.
    But really, consider new equipment the only way to go in this situation and you will save yourself future expenses and headaches.
    Also, ask about heat pump options- fuel prices these days- running a furnace all winter is expensive.
    That brings up another question I had about heat pumps. The unit that needs replacing is/was a heat pump. Only one of the professionals recommended a heat pump in our home as an option. The others said the benefit just wasn't there. When we first moved into the home, I thought the heat pump was an awesome idea. I have only lived in this home for 2 years and I have seen considerable savings on our gas bill during the winter. However, our electric bill was almost as much during the fall and spring as it was in the early summer months. I just kind of thought I was trading one expense for another and it was coming out a wash. Just my opinion, but maybe I need to be convinced otherwise.

So far everyone is leading me in the right direction. I appreciate your time.

The cards are stacked against R22 right or wrong but your personal best option with the current (consumer-contractor-manufactuer) love of R410a is go with the flow. Because there's a chance that in the future someone will look through jaundice colored glasses at your home with an air conditioner that has inefficient, earth destroying R22.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12