Thread: AC question

AC question

While I was cleaning my kitchen sink cabinet yesterday, I thought the area felt cold, even though there is no supply vent. So I went down in the crawlspace to check and sure enough there is a duct connected under the kitchen sink. I think the cabinet maker forgot to leave a hole for a supply register. My question is, would this mess up my system in the long run if not corrected? My kitchen could use another supply especially if my wife is cooking in the hottest time of the day. Other than that, my kitchen is comfortable in the summer and winter. Is this an HVAC job or should I call the cabinet maker to fix it? Thanks.

The correct fix would to put the register back in. The cabinet maker should be able to do this.
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Whoever installed the cabinets was supposed to cut the baseboard for a grill. Those usually do not move much air and would not affect the overall system, but would help with keeping the kitchen cooler when cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by md9693 View Post
    My question is, would this mess up my system in the long run if not corrected?

Nope.

Is this an HVAC job or should I call the cabinet maker to fix it? Thanks.
    Your hvac man should be able to cut the hole and have the grill to fix your problem.

Thanks for the reply. So he just need to cut the baseboard, no additional duct needed?

No additional duct needed.
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Thank you for your help.