My furnace/ac is in a small hallway closet designed for it.
Below it is a fairly large air return cavity.

What's a good board or sound absorbing material for attaching to the studs down there? Obviously I don't need material that absorbs low frequency.

I've visited some sites where they want way too much for their material.
I can afford more than inexpensive 4x8 sound board tho.