Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Post Likes

    Sound absorbing material?

    My furnace/ac is in a small hallway closet designed for it.
    Below it is a fairly large air return cavity.

    What's a good board or sound absorbing material for attaching to the studs down there? Obviously I don't need material that absorbs low frequency.

    I've visited some sites where they want way too much for their material.
    I can afford more than inexpensive 4x8 sound board tho.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Post Likes
    You could try this-

    or this one-

    Cut it with a duct knife to size and use spray glue and tacks to hold it in place.
    Last edited by socalhvacguy; 07-16-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added link

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Southern Utah
    Post Likes
    you can check this stuff out
    bloody expensive tho

    the other option is a lot cheaper. You insulate the wall with fiberglass insulation, then hang 1/2" wood fiber board (your local Drywall or roofing supply store will have this), then hang 5/8" drywall over the top of the wood fiber.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.