Thread: Looking for Contractor for Boiler in the Bronx, Westchester County, NY

Post Likes

Looking for Contractor for Boiler in the Bronx, Westchester County, NY

I didn't see where I could post looking for a contractor. I've learned a lot on these forums, and appreciate the knowledge as a home owner, and with that in mind, looking to get quotes for a mod/con boiler to replace our 40 year old boiler with a possible dual zone setup.

I'm not a crazy home owner looking for someone to install online purchased equipment, I just want a regular straight bid, I am not sure how much the cost will be, so I will consider paying for a bid to have a manual D review, reccomendations, and bid.

Again, I'm not looking for pricing or anything online, just an old fashioned bid in person, and I've seen some of the good work people have done on here, so I want to be sure I have someone/company that knows what they're doing.

I apologize if this is against the rules or appeared improper, but I think it might be a good idea to have a section for home owners to seek contractors. I know there is a wet head/hydronics/boiler forum somewhere that they do have a section explicitly for this purpose, but I can't find it, and I've been a member (for 6 years! for learning purposes only!) of here for a while, and wanted to give you all first crack at it.

The House is in north Bronx, NY; it's a townhouse/semi-attached... close to Westchester county.

Thanks, Bill

Post Likes

I'd guess this is the right place.

You'll need a heat loss survey done (manual J, I=B=R, etc.), the manual D is for ductwork.

For hot water heating, the boiler is sized to the existing house load, reflecting current window and insulation R-values. DON'T let them oversize, or go by the existing boiler rating.

Consider modulating, condensing boilers, at today's fuel prices...

Noel

Post Likes
    Yeah, not Manual D then, it's slant fin copper tubing all over the house. That's why I wanted to get a good estimate.

Post Likes
    Ok, well, could anyone point me in the right direction? Isn't there a hydronics or wet head forum ? I can't seem to find it anywhere. TIA

Post Likes
    search for "heating help"

Post Likes
    great, thanks, that's what I was looking for! First guy who showed up spent 10 minutes, didn't even look the second floor, didn't reccomend mod/cons. Maybe I'm making it out to be more than it should be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
    great, thanks, that's what I was looking for! First guy who showed up spent 10 minutes, didn't even look the second floor, didn't reccomend mod/cons. Maybe I'm making it out to be more than it should be.
    Hopefully, he's the first guy you eliminated also.

Post Likes
    Of course, but there is a respectful balance between what you professionals know, and what as a home owner I "think" I need. I may not need to replace the boiler, who knows, but If they're only spending 10 minutes, and not asking any questions (or looking at the current baseboard heating), it's pretty obvious they're not going to gain my respect, or the job for that matter.

I'm willing to pay for a good inspection/estimate if they tell me straight up I don't need a new boiler, but how do you accurately convey that. I don't know. It's not a "need" basis, the boiler works, but it's 50 years old, I can't imagine there isn't any benefit to be gained, but it might not be enough.

Post Likes
    Even on standard efficiency boilers. many times the new boiler holds less water, which helps to save money.

Usually a mod/con holds even less yet. So again the savings are increases.
    Mod/cons with outdoor reset gain more savings.(no, you wil never get to the point that you can sell fuel back to them )

Save yourself time.
    Prescreen them on the phone.
    Tell them your interested in a mod/con boiler, if it will save you enough on your heating bill. And would like them to explain how it will save you money. While they are out to do the estimate.

You'll eliminate the 10 minutes guys right away.

Your 50 year old boiler may easily last 50 more years. But it will never be as efficient as a new boiler.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in