Post Likes

ICE Rink Temperature Sensor

Good-day,

We are upgrading our controls for a ice rink plant and would like to know if we require a special tempearture sensor which goes in the slab to measure the ice temperature.

The current sensor is a Penn about 17' long and has a bulb on the end if it. The slab has a conduit for about 10' which this is pushed into it. The penn sensor has a contact on it, which closes on tempearture rise turning on pumps.

We are looking at controlling all this by DDC and need a sensor which will connect to the DDC controller.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Use the current Penn sensor and wire it as a binary input but personally I would add a thermistor of some sort as an anlaog value also. You could then use either input in you control logic and if one fails you have a back-up and do not have to melt the sheet in order to replace a sensor. Hockey season is coming up quick!!
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Like Qtip says but for your analog input could be a ceiling mounted ir sensor shot down at the ice kele sells them.

Post Likes

Conduit in Slab

Hello,

The ice rink has a 1\2" conduit in the slab which the sensor goes into. This is access from outside the boards.

I was going to use a standard RTD back to the controller, but figure I would inquire if there are specal sensors for this.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Nothing special about the temp sensor just make sure the temp range is acceptable. You also have to be carefull of how far you insert the sensor it may end up too close to the glycol piping.
    Just got done playing hockey, it is 90 degrees outside, I telling ya that ice was soft tonight!!!
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Haven't worked on ice rinks but pools with high humidity. If you put the sensor under the slab say in a tube will there be moisture and possibly freeze.
    We used to use moisture tight sensors from Honeywell for there T775 control because we were wiping out the standard ones. Just a thought.
    Learning is a lifelong process

Post Likes

ir sensors

Controldude has my vote. I have only worked on 2 ice rinks and both used the ir sensors. no problems with thos except to get to them in the rafters. pretty accurate.

Post Likes

Ice Rink Temperature Monitoring

Hey everyone,

Advertising will NOT be tolerated here.

I would like to suggest that you read the sites rules and "if" you are willing to become a paying sponsor then that information may be found there as well.

Site Moderator
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 07-25-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Advertising Links Removed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nmcbride View Post
    Hey everyone,

Advertising will NOT be tolerated here.

I would like to suggest that you read the sites rules and "if" you are willing to become a paying sponsor then that information may be found there as well.

Site Moderator
    Consider this your first and final warning.

Thank you for complying.

Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 07-25-2012 at 01:21 PM.