Thread: low pressure side indicates vacuum while charging

Post Likes

low pressure side indicates vacuum while charging

Hey guys looking for some help.Been a residential installer for 15 years, recently switched to service due to lack of new construction. So I,m doing an initial start up and charging a newly installed ruud condensor and coil. 30 feet of lineset so I know it will need alittle R-22. Ilook at the gauges to find the suction side is reading a vacuum.I assumed this meant I had a restriction somewhere. Took the cover off the indoor coil and found that 3 of the 6 capillary tubes are cold and 3 are warm. when I removed my gauges I found the suction side released nothing when I depressed the schader. After reclaiming the gas I cut the suction line outside and ran 200 psi of nitrogen thru the high side and it blew freely out of the open line.What do I have here a restriction in the coil, a bad txv, or am I all together wrong and missing something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    You're headed in the right direction. We can't give you a lot of tips in the open forums.

Post Likes
    I do think you are missing something.......FREON

What was the high side pressure reading?
    If you can't do it right.....Don't do it!!

Post Likes
    Don't think I'm missing something as simple as freon,system was evacuated and compressors' charge was let go. Like I said the lineset was only about 30 feet in length. It should have shown something on the gauges. I'm new to this site so if I'm posting this question in the wrong place to expect an answer please let me know where I should post it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz70 View Post
    Hey guys looking for some help.Been a residential installer for 15 years, recently switched to service due to lack of new construction. So I,m doing an initial start up and charging a newly installed ruud condensor and coil. 30 feet of lineset so I know it will need alittle R-22. Ilook at the gauges to find the suction side is reading a vacuum.I assumed this meant I had a restriction somewhere. Took the cover off the indoor coil and found that 3 of the 6 capillary tubes are cold and 3 are warm. when I removed my gauges I found the suction side released nothing when I depressed the schader. After reclaiming the gas I cut the suction line outside and ran 200 psi of nitrogen thru the high side and it blew freely out of the open line.What do I have here a restriction in the coil, a bad txv, or am I all together wrong and missing something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    As Wrangler said, your headed in the right direction. Site rules forbid us to be more specific in the open/residential forums. Get 15 posts under your name and apply for pro status, then ask your question again in the pro forum section for more detailed troubleshooting..
    whaaaaa, you let all the smoke out

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz70 View Post
    Don't think I'm missing something as simple as freon,system was evacuated and compressors' charge was let go. Like I said the lineset was only about 30 feet in length. It should have shown something on the gauges. I'm new to this site so if I'm posting this question in the wrong place to expect an answer please let me know where I should post it.
    You don't say anything about the head pressure.
    The outdoor temp, or the indoor temps.

Wouldn't be the first unit that came from factory with only have its charge, or less.

Had units already that had a leak in the condenser from the factory. They ran in vacuum also.

So what was your head pressure and outdoor temp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nites chaos View Post
    As Wrangler said, your headed in the right direction. Site rules forbid us to be more specific in the open/residential forums. Get 15 posts under your name and apply for pro status, then ask your question again in the pro forum section for more detailed troubleshooting..
    Just getting a post. You're headed in the right direction. see you in the pro section.

Post Likes
    upon further inspection of the TXV I found my problem. Cleaning that little booger out really sucked in a 120 degree attic!! I sure do miss the much easier to clean piston. Thanks to all for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in