Results 1 to 8 of 8

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    vineland new jersey
    Posts
    3

    low pressure side indicates vacuum while charging

    Hey guys looking for some help.Been a residential installer for 15 years, recently switched to service due to lack of new construction. So I,m doing an initial start up and charging a newly installed ruud condensor and coil. 30 feet of lineset so I know it will need alittle R-22. Ilook at the gauges to find the suction side is reading a vacuum.I assumed this meant I had a restriction somewhere. Took the cover off the indoor coil and found that 3 of the 6 capillary tubes are cold and 3 are warm. when I removed my gauges I found the suction side released nothing when I depressed the schader. After reclaiming the gas I cut the suction line outside and ran 200 psi of nitrogen thru the high side and it blew freely out of the open line.What do I have here a restriction in the coil, a bad txv, or am I all together wrong and missing something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,847
    You're headed in the right direction. We can't give you a lot of tips in the open forums.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    217
    I do think you are missing something.......FREON

    What was the high side pressure reading?
    If you can't do it right.....Don't do it!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    vineland new jersey
    Posts
    3
    Don't think I'm missing something as simple as freon,system was evacuated and compressors' charge was let go. Like I said the lineset was only about 30 feet in length. It should have shown something on the gauges. I'm new to this site so if I'm posting this question in the wrong place to expect an answer please let me know where I should post it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,773
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz70 View Post
    Don't think I'm missing something as simple as freon,system was evacuated and compressors' charge was let go. Like I said the lineset was only about 30 feet in length. It should have shown something on the gauges. I'm new to this site so if I'm posting this question in the wrong place to expect an answer please let me know where I should post it.
    You don't say anything about the head pressure.
    The outdoor temp, or the indoor temps.

    Wouldn't be the first unit that came from factory with only have its charge, or less.

    Had units already that had a leak in the condenser from the factory. They ran in vacuum also.

    So what was your head pressure and outdoor temp.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz70 View Post
    Hey guys looking for some help.Been a residential installer for 15 years, recently switched to service due to lack of new construction. So I,m doing an initial start up and charging a newly installed ruud condensor and coil. 30 feet of lineset so I know it will need alittle R-22. Ilook at the gauges to find the suction side is reading a vacuum.I assumed this meant I had a restriction somewhere. Took the cover off the indoor coil and found that 3 of the 6 capillary tubes are cold and 3 are warm. when I removed my gauges I found the suction side released nothing when I depressed the schader. After reclaiming the gas I cut the suction line outside and ran 200 psi of nitrogen thru the high side and it blew freely out of the open line.What do I have here a restriction in the coil, a bad txv, or am I all together wrong and missing something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    As Wrangler said, your headed in the right direction. Site rules forbid us to be more specific in the open/residential forums. Get 15 posts under your name and apply for pro status, then ask your question again in the pro forum section for more detailed troubleshooting..
    whaaaaa, you let all the smoke out

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by nites chaos View Post
    As Wrangler said, your headed in the right direction. Site rules forbid us to be more specific in the open/residential forums. Get 15 posts under your name and apply for pro status, then ask your question again in the pro forum section for more detailed troubleshooting..
    Just getting a post. You're headed in the right direction. see you in the pro section.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    vineland new jersey
    Posts
    3
    upon further inspection of the TXV I found my problem. Cleaning that little booger out really sucked in a 120 degree attic!! I sure do miss the much easier to clean piston. Thanks to all for your help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event