Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman vs Rheem

Post Likes

Goodman vs Rheem

I live in Southern California, and our 22 year old Lennox Furnace just went. We live in 2 story condo with vaulted ceilings, so it is a pretty open floor plan. We have 1750 square feet.

We are looking to keep costs to a minimum since we only plan on being here for 3-4 more years.

Our 2 most promising quotes are:
    1) Single stage Rheem (Classic Super Quiet 80; Model RGPN) 80% furnance with a 13 SEER Rheem Air Conditioning unit (Model RAND)
    2) Two Stage 80% AFUE GMH8/GDH8 Multi speed Goodman Furnace with a GSC13 - 13 SEER Goodman Air conditioner.

Which one would work better, or should I look into the Rheem with a two stage furnace.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Post Likes

i recommend you changeover to a heatpump!

Post Likes
    Rheem over goodman (unless you are going with the amana line that goodman makes, which that is not what you were bid) And I second the motion for a heat pump. Click the link to check out the rheem heat pump.

http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RPPL
    Last edited by aintitfun; 07-15-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Post Likes
    Keep in mind, that there will probably need to be some electrical updating involved to change to a heat pump. Definitely don't go goodman.

Post Likes
    Rheem, Carrier, Bryant, Trane, Goodman, Lennox....it's all the same

Find a quality installer and someone you trust and buy them....the equipment they install doesn't matter.
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cnpro18 View Post
    Keep in mind, that there will probably need to be some electrical updating involved to change to a heat pump. Definitely don't go goodman.
    what's your problem with Goodman?

Post Likes
    I am a RUUD dealer (Rheem/RUUD are pretty much the same), so I am a bit biased.

I would put the Rheem on my list BUT; be SURE the dealer will provide a quality installation. The best equipment installed poorly will end up similar to simple equipment installed well. And a poor install (read that a cheap $$$ install) will have problems down the road. Residential HVAC is truely an area where you get what you pay for.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Rheem
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I've put in both, and had less problems with the Goodman. Goodman is cheaper and will last just as long, and with fewer problems......I'm sure others will disagree.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    I've put in both, and had less problems with the Goodman. Goodman is cheaper and will last just as long, and with fewer problems......I'm sure others will disagree.
    Fewer problems with the goodman, with recip compressor. Dont think so!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Fewer problems with the goodman, with recip compressor. Dont think so!
    LOL

How about NO problems with the Goodman?? Put 'em in right and let 'em rip....no problems here and I install them exclusively.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    There is always one in the crowd... LOL

Seriously, I started out on Goodman. After looking at RUUD, I could clearly see it was built better! Now some folks see it as all numbers, and to each their own. But some see things as technical/mechanical quality. And IMO there is no comparison between Goodman and Rheem/RUUD on those terms... Goodman just does not measure up.

OK, I suspect Robin will be along soon reminding us that 'good techs' do not bash equipment...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Sorry guys, you are just not going to talk me into a reciprocating compressor being better than a scroll.

Post Likes
    Also look at the thread posted just above this one, and ask this guy how much he likes his goodman. LOL

Post Likes
    Sorry guys, you are just not going to talk me into a reciprocating compressor being better than a scroll.
    Never said one was better than the other....just said that a properly installed system will out perform an improperly installed system every day of the week.....no matter what the system is.

Post Likes
    Also look at the thread posted just above this one, and ask this guy how much he likes his goodman. LOL
    Typical....blame the unit not the install....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i recommend you changeover to a heatpump!

Heat pump in southern Cal is very rare. Electricity is way to expensive down there, much cheaper to run on gas.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    what's your problem with Goodman?

Why do you ask??lol

Post Likes
    You sound like some young pup who has not had the vast experiences with recips that we more seasoned techs have had.

Scrolls have some advantages over recips, expecially over 3 ton capacity where a scroll's performance curve surpasses that of a recip. However, there are no more problems overall with recips then there are with scrolls. The HVAC industry did just fine with recips long before scrolls came on the scene.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    It seems to me I heard that Rheem has an enclosed burner 80% furnace that is quite quiet. If so, I would think that sound rating may be a major factor with a condo install and so I would recommend the Rheem in this situation.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in