Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BACNet Router LON to MS/TP

Any one know of a BACNet Router that does both MS/TP and LON?

I can use a delta DSM-RTR for PTP, MS/TP, BACNet/IP and BACNet/Ethernet routing but it has no LON connection. Siemens (Europe) use a PXG80-N for LON to BACNet/IP routing so if all else fails I can use the two devices together but was wondering if anyone does one that does both on one device.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Don't be a stupid dwarf. It's not big and it's not clever!

I think Loytec and Feildserver both have BACnet/Lon gateways. You could also use a Tridium Jace. (we did a project in Las Vegas using ORCAview as front end doing VAV, HW Plant and FCU with a Jace as the gateway to the packaged Trane AHU units). I bit of overkill using the Jace as a gateway and knowing what I do know would have used Tridium as the front end and saved the money on the ORCAview software and been able to lock the customer into using us for any future work on the Delta system.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    I think Loytec and Feildserver both have BACnet/Lon gateways. You could also use a Tridium Jace. (we did a project in Las Vegas using ORCAview as front end doing VAV, HW Plant and FCU with a Jace as the gateway to the packaged Trane AHU units). I bit of overkill using the Jace as a gateway and knowing what I do know would have used Tridium as the front end and saved the money on the ORCAview software and been able to lock the customer into using us for any future work on the Delta system.

kontrol out
    Sounds like a winner to me.

Sorry, I worded the origional question wrong. Looking for a router rather than a gateway.

I have got a plug in card for an inverter that talks BACNet over MS/TP. I want to get it into a Siemens PX network that talks BACNet over LON, i.e. BACNet protocol but uses LON cabling. (Don't ask me why they'd develop it like that, as I've yet to get a decent answer from Siemens Tech Support, but it does appear in the BACNet standard as a valid transport media).

LON is a full 7 layer protocol so it can carry bacnet in it. (bacnet is not)

If Siemens is only doing it for technical reasons it would be more reliable communication, and a more flexible architecture. It speaks bacnet but can be field wired like Lonworks (because it is).

I would have simply kept it Lonworks and dumped the bacnet but I'm sure Siemens has a marketing department...

Niagara Powered

I recommend using a JACE or JACE like device powered by Niagara. It will do everything you need in regards to BACnet, BACnet MSTP, LON and also log trend data, route alarms and serve up webpages (if needed).

Lynxspring provides a mini JACE controller called a PC1000 that is Niagara powered and competitively priced. You can also program this device from a web browser.

If you need any more info, please let me know.

There is more to it than simply going Niagara I'm thinking.

not really

it actually is that simple. explain.

Sounds great.

So I just wire my inverter into the MS/TP port and then wire into the LON port with my "BACNet over LON" network and all the points from the inverter are available to read and write too from my controllers. No programming required.

You see all you BACNet non believers. None of that "binding" hassle

I don't think a JACE will do it. It sounds like his system is running BACnet objects and services on a LON physical layer. I'm guessing its LON FT/TP-10. I don't think a JACE will allow you configure the BACnet driver to the LON comm port. He's looking more for a router. I've never heard of one.

simple

well, simple is a relative term. there is programming involved, but my point is that everything is in one place and the programming can be acheived through your browser.

fieldserver

i underestimated the application. i thought you were trying to send bacnet info to mstp and lon controllers and vice versa. to accomplish what you are looking for your best bet would be a fieldserver.

Quote Originally Posted by picnik View Post
    Sounds great.

So I just wire my inverter into the MS/TP port and then wire into the LON port with my "BACNet over LON" network and all the points from the inverter are available to read and write too from my controllers. No programming required.

You see all you BACNet non believers. None of that "binding" hassle
    Something tells me alot of your "binding hassle" has not much to do with Lonworks and more to do with the gateways you have been using whereby they want you to bind everything to their "box" rather than work with other ways of obtaining the interchange of information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast