Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Could this have been done because the AC was grossly oversized to begin with and they are trying to compensate without replacing the system? Hence, the cut line and new configuration?

I was actually rethinking this, and I bet it was installed by a novice. They probably saw one of those screen savers where the piping continually wraps around the screen in different configurations, saved a snapshot of the screen, and piped it as such. Maybe a smart ass supply house guy gave them something like that as a drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Thanks.
    The original coolant line had been cut and replaced with this set up. I'm a home inspector and I told my client that this was puzzling.

No offense but as a home inspector it would serve your image to refer to them as "refrigerant lines".

Either the people who had this installed had more money than sense or they got ripped off.

Thanks.
    The original coolant line had been cut and replaced with this set up. I'm a home inspector and I told my client that this was puzzling.
    He's a HOME INSPECTOR, inspecting HVAC units anmd he call them "coolant" lines?

This is enough to make the lord cuss "damn"!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
    No offense but as a home inspector it would serve your image to refer to them as "refrigerant lines".
    None taken. Thank you for the correction.

I'm sure the units don't work very well in the summer under that deck with all the heat recirculating.

Flange are you serious that you've seen this before?

btw mike those rheems seem small to be 5 tons. what's on the third floor?

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post

btw mike those rheems seem small to be 5 tons. what's on the third floor?
    Both data plates were on the same unit. That's odd, isn't it? 4 ton and 5 ton. The one with the whacked out refrigerant line went to the furnace on the 3rd floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The far AC unit in the photos (6 ton, I believe) makes 5 coolant line u-turns under this deck before it heads up the wall to the 3rd floor. What's the reason?
    Looks like an attempt at sound attenuation. I wonder if it helped any. If these are heat pumps maybe the noise was during the heat mode.

not that it matters, but have the panel covers been switched?
    & why do they need 4 or 5 tons of air on the third floor? Throw in a picture of the furnace if you can.

Mystery Solved

These are heat expansion loops so that between winter and summer due to the thermal expansion coefficient of copper the pipe doesn't buckle. I believe these are required by code....in an oil pipeline in Alaska.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12