Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Coolant Line Loops

Post Likes

AC Coolant Line Loops

The far AC unit in the photos (6 ton, I believe) makes 5 coolant line u-turns under this deck before it heads up the wall to the 3rd floor. What's the reason?

Post Likes
    Now that's different. I guess they had some extra copper laying around. Maybe thought that they needed a minimum line length. no idea.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Bonus loop for copper thieves. Pipe sweating exercise at your expense.

Certainly doesn't add to flow performance.

Post Likes
    Maybe its a secondary condener loop to make up for the poor air flow the steps create.

Post Likes
    Anti-SEER Reactor Cell

Post Likes
    Maybe their idea of an oil trap?

Post Likes

Another Q

Is there any conceivable reason to install the units under the STAIRS (lowest overhead, least airflow?) instead of under the deck (i.e. 4' to the right of the chosen location)?

Was this a builder install, or "after market"?

Post Likes
    Looks like the Rube Goldberg to an overcharged system fix. Just make a giant suction line with a bunch of turbulence and you've got a not so cheap accumulator!

Post Likes
    Huh thats weird sure don't look like a precharged lineset. looks like someone to a lot of time to sweat 90's in there. Looks like a waist of time and money, I wonder what their reasoning behind that is.

Post Likes
    Maybe their intent was to cool off the deck kind of like using Wirsbo Pex for heating underneath a floor.

Maybe they weren't sure where the home owner would want the unit so they were giving them options and finally settled on the corner behind the stairs.

Maybe a journeyman left his overzealious apprentice to do the hook up outside while he did the lines inside.

Maybe they read in the directions that the unit was charged for a 50 ft line and the only went in to the house 10 ft.

Maybe the installer got paid by the ft.

Just a few ideas
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

Post Likes
    Thanks.
    The original coolant line had been cut and replaced with this set up. I'm a home inspector and I told my client that this was puzzling.

Post Likes
    I have seen this many times. It is usually done to allow the suction line to pick up some heat from the ambinet air to give the deck dwellers some relief. The little cooling effect actually will cause the temp of the air rising through the boards to provide some cooling during high deck occupancy loads. In addition, this allows the installer to grossly oversize the systems. The compressor will not experience problems usually associated with gross oversizing, due to the added load of the outdoor air. As far as installing the condensers under the stairs.....where else would you put them so that you didnt take yup valuable square footage of patio space?

Post Likes
    Usually works better if the lines aren't insulated.

Post Likes
    Could this have been done because the AC was grossly oversized to begin with and they are trying to compensate without replacing the system? Hence, the cut line and new configuration?

Post Likes
    I was actually rethinking this, and I bet it was installed by a novice. They probably saw one of those screen savers where the piping continually wraps around the screen in different configurations, saved a snapshot of the screen, and piped it as such. Maybe a smart ass supply house guy gave them something like that as a drawing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Thanks.
    The original coolant line had been cut and replaced with this set up. I'm a home inspector and I told my client that this was puzzling.

No offense but as a home inspector it would serve your image to refer to them as "refrigerant lines".

Post Likes
    Either the people who had this installed had more money than sense or they got ripped off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Thanks.
    He's a HOME INSPECTOR, inspecting HVAC units anmd he call them "coolant" lines?

This is enough to make the lord cuss "damn"!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
    No offense but as a home inspector it would serve your image to refer to them as "refrigerant lines".
    None taken. Thank you for the correction.

Post Likes
    I'm sure the units don't work very well in the summer under that deck with all the heat recirculating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in