Confused Trane vs. Amana vs. Rheem

My 14 y.o. Trane XL1400 just locked it's compressor. The company that installed it quoted a ridiculous price to replace it. I called another local Trane dealer for a quote(they came highly recommended) and they came out while I was at work. They quoted me for an Amana 13 seer AC, 80% Furnace system for our upstairs and replacement condenser unit downstairs, the original furnace(Payne circa 1985) and coil ACI(Trane) to be reused. I also found out while researching Rheem that they are a Rheem auth. dealer too.
    The quality of the install would be the same because it's the same dealer, but why are they pushing Amana? I thought Rheem and Trane were superior?
    I mean if the install is the same which would you go with?

The best equipment installed poorly is no better than meagerly average equipment installed properly!

So if it were me, I would talk to MANY different companies and find the one that does the BEST installation (and they will probably not be the cheapest).

I am a RUUD dealer, I am a little partial. I would seriously consider the Rheem.

Lets us know what you decide.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

As I said, I called asking for a Trane Quote. What I was quoted was for Amana. Why? Is Amana better than Trane? Why not Rheem? I hate to think that a dealer might push some units because they have a better margin? they came highly recommended, are not the cheapest.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Could be the margin,could be they thought price was very important to you.

Saw a competitors quote today,smae price for Carrier Infinity and brand X,when Brand X it a lot less money,guess they are looking for the extra margin.

I wouldn't just replace the condenser downstairs. It's advisable to match it to the coil at least for best performance and reliability. The furnace downstairs is 22-23 years old... it's getting up there. The best thing to do is to ask them why they quoted you the Amana when you asked for the Trane. Brand isn't the most important thing, but it's important that you get quoted on what you want.

Amana is every bit as good of equipment as rheem or trane, As a matter of fact amana and rheem will have the same compressor. What model # of amana are you looking at. Amana carries better warranties as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Amana is every bit as good of equipment as rheem or trane, As a matter of fact amana and rheem will have the same compressor. What model # of amana are you looking at. Amana carries better warranties as well.
    Amana Model ASC130361A cond and AMANA 45,000 BTU 95% AFUE Gas Furnace

What about the coil? So are they giving you a complete replacement upstairs and just a mismatch downstairs? That's how I read the original post. Can you list the model numbers quoted for upstairs and downstairs (everything)? I assume the above is the upstairs equipment. How were the units sized? That's a R-22 Amana unit.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    What about the coil? So are they giving you a complete replacement upstairs and just a mismatch downstairs? That's how I read the original post. Can you list the model numbers quoted for upstairs and downstairs (everything)? I assume the above is the upstairs equipment. How were the units sized? That's a R-22 Amana unit.
    Downstairs same compressor, no new coil or furnace. Upstairs matching 3 ton coil, run line set through attic down exterior wall. both compressor units side by side. downstairs unit is downdraft(crawlspace), it's in a small closet and I suspect a real pain to change.
    New furnace upstairs is an add on to quote, they quoted reusing existing 25 y.o. furnace.
    Last edited by Nor CA Kid; 07-15-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: forgot something