Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace old system or not??

Post Likes

Replace old system or not??

I have two 19 yr. old systems. They are builders grade;

Tempstar A/C unit Model CA5024UKB1
    Tempstar Gas furnace Model EAC3024SB1

One system is in the basement and the other is in the attic and my house is about 2500 sq/ft and the basement is 1200 sq/ft unheat or cooled. Both systems work OK, but when its 90 out they run almost continuously to keep the house at 78.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Amana 2.5 ton ASH13 and 115 BTU 80% gas furnace. I was wondering what you guys though and wether I should goto a 90%+ furnace vs. 80%. Also I was wondering if there are any good installers out there on the southside of Atlanta.

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by dplin2001; 07-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Post Likes
    I don't think the D I Y will go over too big here. But, Good Luck. You might want to remove the pricing.

Post Likes
    No DIY advise allowed.
    No pricing allowed.
    Side job request not appreciated either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I don't think the D I Y will go over too big here. But, Good Luck. You might want to remove the pricing.
    OK, I'll take prices out, whats wrong with DIY?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No DIY advise allowed.
    No pricing allowed.
    Side job request not appreciated either.
    Sorry, is my post OK now?

Post Likes
    Try reading the rules.

Gee, I wonder, how do contractors make money. Maybe by telling people how to install their own stuff.
    Then the gratefull DIYer sends money to them.

Post Likes
    Nothin wrong with Amana equipment.
    Like other brands. Has no warranty when bought over the internet.

A reputable Amana dealer can give you the price of the equipment and system installed.

Post Likes
    Try reading the rules.

Gee, I wonder, how do contractors make money. Maybe by telling people how to install their own stuff.
    Then the gratefull DIYer sends money to them.
    If there were'nt so many bad ones trying to rip you off you would'nt have any DIY'ers out there. I have no problem with a contractor making a living, but you know there a tons that are taking advantage of customers out there. I'm just trying to figure out what systems are best from the pros here. I've had several pro estiments and the prices vary greatly. Also some say certain systems stink and the next guy says there great. I want to find a honest guy to do the work and the only way I can do that is to educate myself to all the options including what the systems cost. I don't want to pay a 200% markup if I don't have too. Sorry if I offended anyone or broke the rules, I'll just ask system questions only.

Thanks and sorry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dplin2001 View Post
    Sorry, is my post OK now?
    Sure, it's OK now. As you can see, we're not receptive to D I Y here. There are other sites that are. Again, Good Luck.

Post Likes

I'm sort in your boat. Here goes

I have two 19 yr. old systems. They are builders grade;

Tempstar A/C unit Model CA5024UKB1
    Tempstar Gas furnace Model EAC3024SB1

One system is in the basement and the other is in the attic and my house is about 2500 sq/ft and the basement is 1200 sq/ft unheat or cooled. Both systems work OK, but when its 90 out they run almost continuously to keep the house at 78.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Amana 2.5 ton ASH13 and 115 BTU 80% gas furnace. I was wondering what you guys though and wether I should goto a 90%+ furnace vs. 80%. Also I was wondering if there are any good installers out there on the southside of Atlanta.

Thanks,

Dave
    1) Make sure you house has adequate insulation
    2) Make sure you take care of heat intrusions (hot air coming in and cold leaving)
    3) Filter clean/new
    4) Condenser/compressor clean?

I'd wait for until after this cooling season. REasons:

a) rebates, rebates, rebates from most to all of the companies (I think only Lennox still has one going)
    b) give you time to read this site and ask questions
    c) perhaps give you time to get any type of financing in line or see what your electric company has to offer in tandem w/said company rebates
    d) unless your Tempstars are nickle and dimning you to death, its prolly better to wait, unless you have $$ to burn and are hellbent on doing this

Sidebar: I have leaned a whole lot from reading and asking questions to these guys. They know their stuff

Post Likes
    If there were'nt so many bad ones trying to rip you off you would'nt have any DIY'ers out there. I have no problem with a contractor making a living, but you know there a tons that are taking advantage of customers out there.
    That's not going to win you any friends here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    1) Make sure you house has adequate insulation
    2) Make sure you take care of heat intrusions (hot air coming in and cold leaving)
    3) Filter clean/new
    4) Condenser/compressor clean?

I'd wait for until after this cooling season. REasons:

a) rebates, rebates, rebates from most to all of the companies (I think only Lennox still has one going)
    b) give you time to read this site and ask questions
    c) perhaps give you time to get any type of financing in line or see what your electric company has to offer in tandem w/said company rebates
    d) unless your Tempstars are nickle and dimning you to death, its prolly better to wait, unless you have $$ to burn and are hellbent on doing this

Sidebar: I have leaned a whole lot from reading and asking questions to these guys. They know their stuff
    Thanks, thats good advice. We're also tinking of moving, I know that any new owner would want an allowance for a new system. So, I could wait and just give an allowance of the price.

Post Likes
    Cost of an installed system, are not based on equipment cost alone.
    The quality of workmanship is what is expensive.
    Cheaper contractors, sometimes cut corners that make a big difference in performance.
    Even if they didn't plan on cutting a corner. If they run into something that they didn't take notice to during the estimate. They sometimes ignore it, and don't fix or let you know about it. So you run into prolems later.

Good contractors are NOT cheap. Nor do they rip you off.

Also included in that cost is labor warranty.

Post Likes

I wouldn't do a thing

Thanks, thats good advice. We're also tinking of moving, I know that any new owner would want an allowance for a new system. So, I could wait and just give an allowance of the price.
    Watch your electric usage of things in your home that you may have never noticed. computer, TV's yada yada. Do the little things that might bring your use down and go from there.

Post Likes
    That's not going to win you any friends here.
    Sorry again, but thats a fact of life in the business world. Do you think car salesmen are 100% honest all the time or diamond jewlery salesmen? I guess the "bad" guys would'nt visit this forum and the majority of guys here are very good. So, sorry again and I'll drop it. I did'nt mean to come on the forum and piss anyone off. If any MOD's want to delete all this execpt for my initial question feel free. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Cost of an installed system, are not based on equipment cost alone.
    The quality of workmanship is what is expensive.
    Cheaper contractors, sometimes cut corners that make a big difference in performance.
    Even if they didn't plan on cutting a corner. If they run into something that they didn't take notice to during the estimate. They sometimes ignore it, and don't fix or let you know about it. So you run into prolems later.

Good contractors are NOT cheap. Nor do they rip you off.

Also included in that cost is labor warranty.
    I agree, find a good guy is whats tough for the inexperienced homeowner and thats why I'm here so I'm educated when contractors give estimates.

Post Likes
    Sorry again, but thats a fact of life in the business world. Do you think car salesmen are 100% honest all the time or diamond jewlery salesmen? I guess the "bad" guys would'nt visit this forum and the majority of guys here are very good. So, sorry again and I'll drop it. I did'nt mean to come on the forum and piss anyone off. If any MOD's want to delete all this execpt for my initial question feel free. Thanks again.
    I'm not offended in the least. Nothing will get deleted........yet.

Post Likes
    I'm not offended in the least. Nothing will get deleted........yet.
    Wow, I didn't know you were a mod.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-14-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Post Likes
    While, I didn't know you were a mod.
    Don't even want to be. But, I think we both know where this thing is headed.

Post Likes
    I agree, find a good guy is whats tough for the inexperienced homeowner and thats why I'm here so I'm educated when contractors give estimates.
    Good contractors don't need to bash othe brands of equipment.
    A good contractor doesn't say, I can be anybody's price.(read, I can cut corners and be real cheap sucker)
    A good contractor doesn't just look at the mod numbers of the existing equipment and give you a price.

Get quotes from 3 contractors, and then come back and ask questions about their proposals.(but not about prices)

Ask them about extended warranties.
    Ask for references. (of couorse they won't give youo bad ones), but if the most recent is 5 years old, you know there is a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in