Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about vent pipes.

RE: "Pics of install - let the comments fly" thread.

The city inspector came by today to look at my heat pump/furnace install. He said the exhaust vent pipe is to close to a window and he would talk to the install company about it. Currently the air intake is in the garage. He then said that if they brought the air inlet pipe out beside the exhaust vent, then the vent could be much closer to the window. Is that true? What the heck does having the air intake come out of the wall near the vent have anything to do with how close the vent can be to the window? I’m not sure, but I think he said it could it could then be within 12 inches of the window.

Assuming he was correct, and they bring the air inlet out the wall, how close can the air inlet pipe and the vent pipe be to each other?

Oh, he wasn’t going to say anything about the disconnect being right behind the heat pump. But I asked him about it and he said he would have to check with an electrical inspector. You would think an HVAC inspector would know to look for something like that.

Thanks.

i have never heard of that, and don't see how it can make a differance. seems if it was to make that much of a differance it would be sucking the flue gasses back into the furnace. but maybe he has a good reason. wasn't the vent behind the condensing unit? did he say anything about that?

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i have never heard of that, and don't see how it can make a differance. seems if it was to make that much of a differance it would be sucking the flue gasses back into the furnace. but maybe he has a good reason. wasn't the vent behind the condensing unit? did he say anything about that?
    That's what I thought. It made no sense to me.

No the vent pipe is off to the side about 15 inches. The disconnect box is behind the condenser.

Is there code to how close the vent pipe can be to the condenser?

Thanks.

Please post a pic of the window in question. Can the window be opened?
    That makes a big difference.

If it gets to close to a condensor it could corode the unit. No code for it around here.

I looked at the pictures but don't see a close window. How close is the vent to the opening part of the window? Usually the inspectors follow the manufactures installation instructions. These should spell out very clearly how close to a window you can be. I haven't heard the fresh air thing either but it may be in the venting instructions
    Its a good Life!

I would be concerned about the combustion air coming from inside the garage. Not a good idea with all the hydrocarbons, corrosive and chemical vapors in the air being drawn into you new furnace. Make the install company move it so you bring in outside air.

Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    I would be concerned about the combustion air coming from inside the garage. Not a good idea with all the hydrocarbons, corrosive and chemical vapors in the air being drawn into you new furnace. Make the install company move it so you bring in outside air.
    I read the install manual and it did allow it to be indoors as long as it wasn't a confined space. Might be hard to get them to move it when the manual allows for it. Then again, they might have to do it if what the inspector says it true about bringing it out near the exhaust vent pipe. Would be easier to bring the inlet pipe out than moving the exhaust vent.

I will post a better pic of the situation later on. The pics I posted in earlier thread didn't show the window I was referring to.

Thanks.

A "direct vent" furnace typically can be 1' from a window. If the intake isn't run outside with the vent, then the distance is usually 4'.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    A "direct vent" furnace typically can be 1' from a window. If the intake isn't run outside with the vent, then the distance is usually 4'.
    So then what the inspector was saying is true?

Thanks.

Look at your installers guide under venting ''Non Direct Vent Clearances" page 17 item B=
    under US 4 feet

Sorry I mentioned it. However, reread the I/O manual and concentrate on the section where it mentions not pulling contaminated air in. I don't know what brand you had installed but pulling air from the garage is never okay. There should be only three things found in the combustion air. They are 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% rare gases. Gasoline vapor, oil vapor, paint thinners, paint vapor, etc don't fall under any one of the three aforementioned products found in combustion air. You installer is wrong and the inspector needs to look again at the piping.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    So then what the inspector was saying is true?

Thanks.
    Yes, the inspector is correct.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Outside air would be better as earlier stated, household chems; bleach, amonia, solevents etc will shorten heat exchanger life. Also removing space air for combustion will cause air infiltration to the rest of the space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast