Thread: Oil Leak

Post Likes

Oil Leak

My home central air conditioning quit the other day.
    Upon inspection, I saw a small amount of oil on top of the compressor and around the bottom also.
    Repair turned out to be replacing the start capacitor, not the compressor. The unit runs fine now.
    Could oil have leaked from the compressor fan and dripped down onto the compressor ?
    I did not know that these motors had an oil reservoir, I thought they had oil impregnated bushings.
    Due to the oil leak, should I replace the fan motor ?

Thanks for your help

Post Likes
    Fan motors have run capacitor , compressor uses run capacitor unless you have a start kit, then that part consists of a start capacitor. If it was the start capacitor that blew that may be the problem as they have some sort of residue inside the capacitor. The motor could be leaking onto the compressor top. Some older unit fan motors had two oil cups , each side of the motor. You should call for service to have them check your system.

Post Likes
    My mistake- The capacitor they replaced was a "Run" capacitor.
    What would cause the motor to leak oil ? Overheating ?
    Would you suggest replacing fan motor since this leak happened ?

Post Likes
    It could've leaked from the condenser fan motor. Sometimes they leak if someone oils it too much, sometimes the sealed bearing begins to leak. The oil also could've come from the bad run capacitor. They are oil filled, and I've seen them burst with a lot of force and spray oil everywhere.

If the motor isn't making noise or otherwise acting up I'd leave it alone.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    It could've leaked from the condenser fan motor. Sometimes they leak if someone oils it too much, sometimes the sealed bearing begins to leak. The oil also could've come from the bad run capacitor. They are oil filled, and I've seen them burst with a lot of force and spray oil everywhere.

If the motor isn't making noise or otherwise acting up I'd leave it alone.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    It's not unusual to have water in an outdoor unit due to condensation.

Are you sure it's oil, and not water?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in