New AC and too few registers question

Hybrid View

New AC and too few registers question

I just had installed a 2 ton Carrier 38HDR and Carrier Perfomance 80 furnace.

I'm happy for the most part, but am wondering about my "living space" as it pertains to the AC part. 887 sq. foot condo. So. Calif.

As you will see in the pics, what I consider my living space is my living room,
    my connected dining room and my "galley kitchen."

I'm not getting as cool as quickly as I expected in "my living space."

The living room is high slanted roof, and has insulation. The dining room connects..so does the "galley kitchen"..so does the hallway.

For all of these, I have just two registers to cool my "living area."
    Check the pics.

Notice the small 4"x6" that serves as both my kitchen and my dining room,
    Besides that...there is the one larger living room register. (pics).
    These two registers alone have to serve my living room, dining room, galley kitchen.

The refridge is putting out heat, my computer is putting out heat, I have a large living room window (sun passes over after 12 pm).

Only 2 registers to cool my "living area."

Help! Shouldn't I enlarge that kitchen/dining room register?

My AC struggles at times with just two registers to cool down all these areas. I know my 2 Ton Carrier is up to the task. So is the closet unit.

Don't I need a new duct somewhere in this area? Or at least a bigger one at the kitchen? My AC can easily handle the airflow and such.

My condo was one that was designed for heat, not AC. My capable 2 ton has only these two registers to cool down a large area.

Pics. The closet past the lamp is the AC closet. Above my computer is my dining room which could use another vent?

All's I'm asking is...isn't that a lot of space to expect a neat AC to cool well with just two registers?

Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    I just had installed a 2 ton Carrier 38HDR and Carrier Perfomance 80 furnace.

I'm happy for the most part, but am wondering about my "living space" as it pertains to the AC part. 887 sq. foot condo. So. Calif.

As you will see in the pics, what I consider my living space is my living room,
    my connected dining room and my "galley kitchen."

I'm not getting as cool as quickly as I expected in "my living space."

The living room is high slanted roof, and has insulation. The dining room connects..so does the "galley kitchen"..so does the hallway.

For all of these, I have just two registers to cool my "living area."
    Check the pics.

Notice the small 4"x6" that serves as both my kitchen and my dining room,
    Besides that...there is the one larger living room register. (pics).
    These two registers alone have to serve my living room, dining room, galley kitchen.

The refridge is putting out heat, my computer is putting out heat, I have a large living room window (sun passes over after 12 pm).

Only 2 registers to cool my "living area."

Help! Shouldn't I enlarge that kitchen/dining room register?

My AC struggles at times with just two registers to cool down all these areas. I know my 2 Ton Carrier is up to the task. So is the closet unit.

Don't I need a new duct somewhere in this area? Or at least a bigger one at the kitchen? My AC can easily handle the airflow and such.

My condo was one that was designed for heat, not AC. My capable 2 ton has only these two registers to cool down a large area.

Pics. The closet past the lamp is the AC closet. Above my computer is my dining room which could use another vent?

(I Removed the [IMG] code, - don't use it.)
    http://home.san.rr.com/jdc/hallway-duct.jpg

http://home.san.rr.com/jdc/living-dining1.jpg

All I'm asking is...isn't that a lot of space to expect a neat AC to cool well with just two registers?
    Those links to your pics did not show up in your post, because they were NOT posted as LINKS.

Nice neat looking condo.

Yes for 800 to 900-CFM, I would want more duct runs & in different locations.
    Supply registers are normally placed where they will throw cold air on the interior walls, which results in longer off time between cycles.

To achieve 800-cfm, it would seem the airflow velocity from those two register sizes, would be a bit too high.

I don't know what size the living room duct is, however at 600-FPM velocity it would take a plus 12" rd duct to flow 500-CFM to the living room space. How much is that register rated to flow @ 600-fpm, or even 700-fpm velocity?

The velocity & CFM airflow should be checked!

Find someone that is licensed & that knows proper airflow design to figure what changes are needed, if any. - Darrell

Should be easy to increase register size for the living room area.

How do the bedrooms cool.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere, the living room is the largest register. It's there in the pic at the top of living room. I would think it be would kinda monsterous to go bigger than that.

There's only the small 4"x6" that serves the rest of the kitchen/dining room area.

That's it. My bedroom is the same floorplan as my living room. I never need to use AC there as all rooms have ceiling fans and if I have a breeze blowing down, I can sleep in 90 F heat.

It just seems like during the hottest part of the day, the big register in my living room and the little one in my kitchen/dining room have a hard time keeping my "living space" cool.

The bedroom is fine, ceiling fans in all rooms. I rarely need to use AC at night.

As long as I have a downward breeze on me, I'm fine.

I already have a rather big register in my living room. The only other one serving my living/dining/hall is one small 4'x6" one in my kitchen.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST! Damn...the net has been acting up the last 2 days.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The supply ducts and grilles all need to be the correct size ,for perfromance and equipment longevity.

The living room may be be able to have a larger duct installed,with the same grille,and it's open to the kitchen/nook ,so if set to direct air flow that way,may be what you need.

Kitchen/nook grille and duct will be difficult to increase to size,maybe not not impossible.

I'd get the installer to test the static,since the ducts are small and you added some type of a better filter(likely more restrictive).