Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermostat ? for 2 stage system

Posted questions about our A/C system over the past few weeks and another question crossed my mind as I was doing some more research.

Since we have a 2 stage system trane xl16i, do we need a thermostat that has a 2 stage option? What is the purpose/advantage of a thermostat with a setting for 2 stage cooling? Our current thermostat does not have a 2 stage option

whats the question, the suspense is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post

It's kinda a self answering question. If you only have a 1 stage thermostat and a 2 stage a/c. It can only run 1 stage of the system. So 1 entire stage will never be used, which is a waste of the money you spent on it. If you're not gonna buy the thermostat, why did you buy the equipment. The heater will switch automatically unless you cut the jumper on the board. You will either run on "high" or "low" capacity depending on how it is wired.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    It's kinda a self answering question. If you only have a 1 stage thermostat and a 2 stage a/c. It can only run 1 stage of the system. So 1 entire stage will never be used, which is a waste of the money you spent on it. If you're not gonna buy the thermostat, why did you buy the equipment. The heater will switch automatically unless you cut the jumper on the board. You will either run on "high" or "low" capacity depending on how it is wired.
    OR

Both stages are coming on at the same time and running at full capacity all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You should be asking my installer that ?....I'm doing all this damn research because my brand new ac is not working properly. thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out why THEY didn't install a 2 stage t-stat. don't need the heat info, as we have baseboard hot water..

No YOU should be asking your installer that.

Bottom line is, have them come out and install a 2 stage stat. That is a 2 stage unit, no other way is acceptable, My guess is they may only have a 2 conductor wire ran to the outdoor unit, which they will need at least three conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    I though they were spelled out..but i'll make it easier

1. do we need a thermostat that has a 2 stage option?

2. What is the purpose/advantage of a thermostat with a setting for 2 stage cooling?

You may have a 2 stage thermostat, but it is not set up correctly. Without a 2 stage thermostat your 2 stage system will only run on 1 stage, you paid for two.

A complete waste of money to get a 2 stage A/C, and only running it on a single stage stat.

What is the brand and model number of your stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Your unit is more than likely mis-wired. You have a zoning panel and that will control your stages if wired correctly. From your previouse posts it is not wired correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast