Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I being screwed?

My co. (the only one I've worked for) doesn't pay bonuses for sales leads? Is this common? What are other companies doing?

Then I would suggest not giving any.

Maybe you could pick up some side work

If it isn't company policy, and no one else gets aspiff for a sales lead, you aren't losing something that wasn't yours to begin with. A lot of companies don't pay for sales leads. Talk to the owner and see if they are willing to impliment a spiff program. All they can say is no.

I've never gotten one.

I've always worked fourty hours. I'd rather work full time and contribute to the bottom line than go home early.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    I've never gotten one.

I've always worked fourty hours. I'd rather work full time and contribute to the bottom line than go home early.
    I'm not sure I understand. What does working 40 hrs and going home early have to do with a bonus?

I think he means the company appreciates what he does, and looks for things to do when its slow, instead of sending him home early.

I get 2% of the sale price of the job (if it sells).....so I get 100 bucks for every 5000 dollars sold.

Of course if you close like our sales guys do....well thats another story....I don't set leads....I fix it. I make more that way and don't have to worry about being dissapointed when I send a salesman in after me.

I won't start setting leads again until I am selling.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by pinholeleak View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. What does working 40 hrs and going home early have to do with a bonus?
    A company might guarantee 40 hours or a company might give spiffs and send you home when there is no work.

A guy might make more working everyday or getting spiffs and incentives.

But if a company guarantees 40 I wouldn't expect to receive spiffs. My spiff is knowing I will have a full check every week. A company can only afford to pay you a percentage of what you bring to the company.

My co. (the only one I've worked for) doesn't pay bonuses for sales leads? Is this common? What are other companies doing?
    If you do decide to broach the subject with your employeer, keep in mind that your success or failure will depend highly on your approach and timing.

If for example you tell your boss during a morning meeting, where all of the other techs are in attendance, "I think we should be getting spiffed for our upsales", it's probably not going to go as well as if you brought it up in private during your yearly salary review.

Try suggesting spiffs for techs that upsell high efficiency equipment to the customer. Those high dollar sales bring more $$$ to the company bottom line.

If you convince the owner that you want to line his pockets with money, he'll line yours.

When you were hired what did the company give you for a job description and pay package?

Not a big fan of paying for sales leads here. My guys will recommend a salesman come out if the case warrants it. If the customer is better served by replacing verses repairing we quote a new unit.

Never gotten a sales bonus. A friend of mine works for another large corporate HVAC entity in the area and he helped the company get a $200K
    installation job. The company gave him $20.00. He was ticked (to say it mildly). Said he'd never do that again.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

My first employer gave spiffs. I was only there a little over three months. I sold a job but I was still on probation. No spiff for you, ****ty yes but what could a guy with no experience do?!

I sold a second job after I was there 90 days. I asked for my spiff and the owner said I was still on probation. I said the 90 days where up. Calendar days She said oh, that's 90 working days. No spiff for you.

I sucked. The company suck because they had very little OJT except to see how much equipment I could screw up.

They laid me off two weeks before Christmas. I had a new job in a couple of days. The new employer pulled me aside and gave me $20 for a Christmas bonus. I was there less than two weeks. He asked me to not say anything to anyone because some people in the company were not getting anything.

LOL you guys need to work in L.A for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast