Hybrid View

Matching filter to airflow

Just got a new system installed (all Ruud):

* UGPN07EAMER furnace (has slot for 1" or 4" filters)
    * RCFLHM3617AC coil
    * UANL036JEZ condenser (3 tons)

I'd like to get better (cleaner) air in the house, and was thinking about the 3M Filtrete line, but then I read that it's too restrictive and may not be well matched to all systems. How do I find the best combination of filtering ability vs. pressure drop?

If it matters, it gets above 100F here in the summers, but I keep the thermostat set around 80F indoors. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tent View Post
    Just got a new system installed (all Ruud):

* UGPN07EAMER furnace (has slot for 1" or 4" filters)
    * RCFLHM3617AC coil
    * UANL036JEZ condenser (3 tons)

I'd like to get better (cleaner) air in the house, and was thinking about the 3M Filtrete line, but then I read that it's too restrictive and may not be well matched to all systems. How do I find the best combination of filtering ability vs. pressure drop?

If it matters, it gets above 100F here in the summers, but I keep the thermostat set around 80F indoors. Thanks.

find a 4" MERV 10 and call it good or get a collection of filters and measure your TESP until you find a close match (assuming your ducts are properly sized)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    A good 4' pleated,rated at merv *,however it may be too restrictive,ask your installing contractor.He should have checked the static,and can easily tell,if not ask him to do so,then he can tell how much restriction the filter can and still deliver the minimum cfm to protect the equipment.