Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can see this from another side -

I am frustrated myself. But maybe I am just tired.

Some people just endlessly call and get quotes. At Most: only one person gets the job. People who get a dozen quotes are price-shoppers who will just take the lowest price anyway. Which is not me.

So what am I bothering to go out and waste my time for? It's no joke: Take time, go out, size up the job; requirements, customer interests, access, etc. Then measure the building, do all the load calcs, price out the job, and get it into a formal form. By the time I'm accurately done - I've got half a day in it.

Times Twelve Quotes - that's a week's labor with a few hours of overtime to complicate a weekend. No problem - we'll eat that for you. We are thrilled just to be able to wear out all our old clothes.

AND; how many times have I presented something detailed and the customer then shops my design around looking for what? Why of course: a lower price. So what Am I? The local charity design engineer? People seem to have no problem with stealing my ability. But try asking them to pay for the design fee. and see how fast they reach for their wallet. <g>

Hell; I've had them call repeatedly and ask for additional details - with questions which could only have come from a competitor. Or from their son or brother-in-law who's going to a tech school at night. <g>

I don't blame 'estimaters' for just tossing numbers at a job. If it's all going to be a dart-board numbers-game anyway - why spend any more time than that on it?

Of course maybe I'm just cynical and crabby right now. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by IchBinKalt View Post
    Well, in that case I am 8 for 8... not a single contractor has done a load calc based on what I have seen. 3 walked into the furnace room/area, looked up at the ducts, said yup, walked out and sent me a quote. The others all measured the ducting by the furnace, a couple opened up the old furnace and looked around. The prices have ranged wildly for some of the same equipment. I had one quote where it specifies the brand and that's it... no mention of what he would put in. Verbally I was told it was a 2 stage ECM furnace, but he could literally install almost anything as long as it was NG and the brand stated (new or used) and still fulfill the contract as stated.

I find myself frustrated... I have 4 more locals and then the HVAC pool dries up... I hope I can get something out of it. Maybe I am just tired and it is late.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I am frustrated myself. But maybe I am just tired.

Some people just endlessly call and get quotes. At Most: only one person gets the job. People who get a dozen quotes are price-shoppers who will just take the lowest price anyway. Which is not me.

So what am I bothering to go out and waste my time for? It's no joke: Take time, go out, size up the job; requirements, customer interests, access, etc. Then measure the building, do all the load calcs, price out the job, and get it into a formal form. By the time I'm accurately done - I've got half a day in it.

Times Twelve Quotes - that's a week's labor with a few hours of overtime to complicate a weekend. No problem - we'll eat that for you. We are thrilled just to be able to wear out all our old clothes.

AND; how many times have I presented something detailed and the customer then shops my design around looking for what? Why of course: a lower price. So what Am I? The local charity design engineer? People seem to have no problem with stealing my ability. But try asking them to pay for the design fee. and see how fast they reach for their wallet. <g>

Hell; I've had them call repeatedly and ask for additional details - with questions which could only have come from a competitor. Or from their son or brother-in-law who's going to a tech school at night. <g>

I don't blame 'estimaters' for just tossing numbers at a job. If it's all going to be a dart-board numbers-game anyway - why spend any more time than that on it?

Of course maybe I'm just cynical and crabby right now. <g>

PHM
    --------
    No Mikey. You pretty much nailed it.

The joke is, if you don't have any intention of representing your company in a good light, giving a knowledgable inspection, and provide a quote that at least lists what you would intend to install for such an amount, why bother coming in the first place? I did not hold a gun to these contractors heads. You can always say no. But, if I ask you if I can get a quote, and I am told certainly you may, would it not be in everyones best interest if you put in the effort?

And as for money, when some of the quotes are almost double others, well, I am sorry, that is a no brainer for me (the most professional looking/acting contractor of the first bunch was the lowest of that bunch). I am willing to pay for someone who conveys to me during the quote process that they may be capable of doing a good job.

I have had a couple more, and have had much better luck (in another thread I will list my choices) and came away with a choice of four. If I could only have had those four originally...

Quote Originally Posted by IchBinKalt View Post
    The joke is, if you don't have any intention of representing your company in a good light, giving a knowledgable inspection, and provide a quote that at least lists what you would intend to install for such an amount, why bother coming in the first place? I did not hold a gun to these contractors heads. You can always say no. But, if I ask you if I can get a quote, and I am told certainly you may, would it not be in everyones best interest if you put in the effort?

And as for money, when some of the quotes are almost double others, well, I am sorry, that is a no brainer for me (the most professional looking/acting contractor of the first bunch was the lowest of that bunch). I am willing to pay for someone who conveys to me during the quote process that they may be capable of doing a good job.

I have had a couple more, and have had much better luck (in another thread I will list my choices) and came away with a choice of four. If I could only have had those four originally...
    If you do your due diligence, it allows us to do ours. A little research before you invite them into your home would save everyone time and headaches.

If a potential customer knew to just ask 2 basic questions then they would easily weed out the hacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12