Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Furnace bids are in: Payne vs. Bryant vs. Trane

My furnace has gone out and I had three HVAC companies do bids and each bid out the job with different furnaces and I'm hoping to get some guidance on the quality of the furnaces that were suggested.

My house was built in 1983 and is approximately 1500 sq. ft. and the Carrier that broke was original with the house. All were 80% efficiency and around 60,000 BTUs.

Below are the furnaces that the companies bid on.

1st:
    Trane XR80. The sales guy said that this furnace is 17.5 vs. the 14 I currently have. This extra 3.5 requires moving the water heater or the gas main. As a result the total bid was more than the other 2.

2nd:
    Payne PG8

3rd
    Bryant 310

From some research I've noticed that the Payne and the Bryant are essentially the same, but I haven't done any research on the warranties. Are the warranties significantly different between brands?

Any guidance on these brands would be appreciated. Thanks.

Drew

Trane makes a 14.5" XR80 at 60K. Wonder why he'd rather move the water heater

The Bryant 310 is the bottom of the line and may be identical to the Payne.

I would avoid any of the three

If it were me.

But . . . . different people do different things.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Definately would not do the payne or bryant. There is nothing wrong with the Trane. But the model you listed does not have a variable speed blower which I would definately recommend, Many manufacturers offer this, a few that you have not mentioned that are built well with good warranties and also offer the variable speed blower/2-stage gas operation, would be rheem/ruud, and amana. LIFETIME HEAT EXCHANGER WARRANTY ON THE AMANA. Is the air conditioning being changed out, or only furnace? Below are a couple of links, the first is for the amana furnace, the second is for the rheem. I believe the variable speed in rheem only comes in 21.5'' wide, so you may take that into consideration, great furnace though.

http://www.amana-hac.com/Home/Produc...0/Default.aspx
    http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RGPR
    Last edited by aintitfun; 07-13-2008 at 09:16 PM.

I recently purchased a Payne Unit, in order to go with VS you would need to upgrade to a 90% efficient furnace, not sure why but their 80% units are not equipped with a Variable Speed..Good Luck

What I'm looking for is a reliable unit that will work for awhile. I'm not sure that the payback on a 90%+ efficiency and variable speed is worth the investment. We plan on being in the house for another 5-10 years. We hadn't planned for this replacement so I'm trying to minimize the cost but still balancing it with a decent unit.

I looked at the Amana and Rheem and they both looked like they are wider than the 14 inches. I'd like to avoid anything larger due to moving the gas main or moving the water heater.

What is the hierarchy of brands? It sounds like Amana and Rheem are the top and then Carrier, Bryant, and then Payne.

Drew

Use this attachment and you'll get the system you want but just may not know what it is yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

In that case buy a Goodman system -

They are a reliable unit that will work for good while.

Compromise on a 90+ % furnace but without the more expensive variable speed blower.

With a 14 or 15 SEER AC

That would seem (to me) to be the best value/price blend.

And you may be able to find a narrow enough Goodman unit too.

Decent equipment with great warranties.
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    They are a reliable unit that will work for good while.

Compromise on a 90+ % furnace but without the more expensive variable speed blower.

With a 14 or 15 SEER AC

That would seem (to me) to be the best value/price blend.

And you may be able to find a narrow enough Goodman unit too.

Decent equipment with great warranties.
    What`s the warranty on the goodman?

I just put in a Payne 2.5 ton hp for my parents 14 seer 10 year warranty VS fan , honestly hated to changeout that 23 year old BDP.

Goodman Warranty

http://tinyurl.com/3bv437

Every Goodman brand indoor comfort product is built to the highest standards of the heating and cooling industry, and in many cases exceeds those standards. The high quality of our product warranties reflects the high standards of our manufacturing processes. As a heating and cooling contractor, our founder, Harold Goodman knew firsthand the concerns that homeowners expressed when it came to purchasing and installing a new central indoor comfort system. That’s why all Goodman brand products provide industry leading comfort and warranty protection. Why would you settle for anything less?

Standard Warranty

Every Goodman brand product is protected by a limited warranty on all functional parts. You’ll find specific warranty protection coverage listed with the product features, or you can check the warranty certificate, or your installing dealer will have the details.

Full details on the standard limited parts warranty are available for each of our featured products. To view the warranty certificate for a specific product, please click on Product on the left navigation bar and then selected the product of choice. At the bottom of the product page you will find a warranty link to the warranty certificate.

Specialized Component Warranty

To ensure your satisfaction with Goodman brand heating and cooling systems, special warranties are automatically included on select products and components. For example, some Goodman brand gas furnaces carry industry leading limited warranty protection on the heat exchangers and specific Goodman central air conditioning systems carry exceptional warranty protection on the compressor.

Here are just a few of the specialized warranties available:

Lifetime Limited Compressor Warranty
    Lifetime Limited Heat Exchanger Warranty
    10-Year Parts Limited Warranty
    10-Year Unit Replacement Limited Warranty

You can choose the product or system that has the warranty that meets, or even exceeds, your indoor comfort needs. Online registration required within 60 days of installation.

Extended Service Plans

With a GoodCare Extended Service Agreement, you’ll have your choice of 5-years, 10-years, or even up to 99-years of worry-free comfort without the unexpected cost of replacement parts or labor expenses should your Goodman equipment require service. If a repair is needed, an Authorized GoodCare Dealer will respond promptly and make repairs with quality Goodman parts.

GoodCare coverage is affordable, costing only pennies a day. It’s a valuable investment that protects you today and in the future, no matter how much the cost of service may increase over the life of your Goodman brand equipment. With a GoodCare extended service plan, your comfort is in the guarantee.

When it comes to worry-free warranties, Goodman Manufacturing stands behind its products equal to any other brand in the indoor comfort industry.
    PHM
    --------

I would not even worry about the equipment, branding is a long going battle on here go with the best company. a load calc is #1 any bids that did not start with a load calc throw them out.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mwjhvac View Post
    I would not even worry about the equipment, branding is a long going battle on here go with the best company. a load calc is #1 any bids that did not start with a load calc throw them out.
    Well, in that case I am 8 for 8... not a single contractor has done a load calc based on what I have seen. 3 walked into the furnace room/area, looked up at the ducts, said yup, walked out and sent me a quote. The others all measured the ducting by the furnace, a couple opened up the old furnace and looked around. The prices have ranged wildly for some of the same equipment. I had one quote where it specifies the brand and that's it... no mention of what he would put in. Verbally I was told it was a 2 stage ECM furnace, but he could literally install almost anything as long as it was NG and the brand stated (new or used) and still fulfill the contract as stated.

I find myself frustrated... I have 4 more locals and then the HVAC pool dries up... I hope I can get something out of it. Maybe I am just tired and it is late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast