Question HP, split system, do I need a drain? for condensation?

Doing new home-going to put air-handler in a (equip.rm.) do I need a drain in the floor, for condensation--now's my chance-as slab is not poured, yet!

If you would like to be able to dispose of the condensate in the cooling mode with something other than a pump, then yes, you need a drain...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

yes you need a condensate drain. i don't like the idea of going into the ground/floor.........i work in an area with high radon, yes you can put a trap in to prevent pulling it into the system but some inspectors have failed jobs for it, even with a trap. you could always run it to a sump pump or use a condensate pump.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    yes you need a condensate drain. i don't like the idea of going into the ground/floor.........i work in an area with high radon, yes you can put a trap in to prevent pulling it into the system but some inspectors have failed jobs for it, even with a trap. you could always run it to a sump pump or use a condensate pump.
    I think it just ties into the graywater-and then to the septic tank. Is there a problem doing it that way? I thought there might be a 3/4" line--and I could just direct it to the drain.
    Any sugestion appreciated, as the plumber is coming tomorrow to do the rough-in. Also humidity should NOT be to bad to deal with, as we are in SW-New Mexico.
    thanks

the only problem i could see is if its not trapped, it could pull air from the waste line, and blow it through the duct work and into the air in the house. i'm in nj and in some areas inspectors will let you do it with a trap, and some won't let you do it at all. the plumber should know the local codes regarding condensate drains. good luck
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

badboyheel is right you will need a trap in the line regardless of where you run it, unless the system will somehow prevent the condensate to flow up into the system. This is especially true if you connect it to your septic/sewer pipes. Make sure you check the manufactures installation guide, it may call for that directly. If you don't know the answer just have a trap put in. I can't see how that will hurt or add much expense.

Check you local codes to see if you can run the line into your septic. If you'll have a sump hole that's a good place.

There are other experts here that can answer this question, but why can't you just run the line outside? Granted you may need a pump.