Thread: cfm for ac

Post Likes

cfm for ac

about a year ago i had a goodman furnace 70,000 btu and heatpump 3 ton put in. they set the cfm to high 1449 cfm. is that to high? medium is 1192. i know from being on this sit it should be about 400 cfm per ton. i have about a 21 degree drop at the a coil. is there something i dont understand? should it be at 1449cfm or should i call someone out to to look at it and set it to 1192 if need be? my furnace is GMH95 0703BXA and here is a link for the cfm http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS-GMH95.pdf thank you chris

Post Likes
    Yes for a heat pump 400 CFM per rated nominal ton is correct, and a 21 degree drop is also good sounds like your running ok. I would not worry about it every manufature has it's own specifications

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Yes for a heat pump 400 CFM per rated nominal ton is correct, and a 21 degree drop is also good sounds like your running ok. I would not worry about it every manufature has it's own specifications
    do you think i could have it turned down so it is not so loud? i sit right next to the intake and the furnace is right on the other side of the wall. if i could have it turned down it would be great but i dont want to call someone out and have them say it is were it need to be and pay a service call for nothing.

Post Likes
    I would like to see it set at 1192 if it were mine. Does your coil have a txv?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Take note that the fan data you posted,shows cfms at various ESP(External Static Pressures),so wihout testing the ESP,there's a wide range of cfms,depending on the ESP(think resistance to air flow,of ducts,filter,etc.).

Based on the temperature drop,I'd guess your cfns cold be on the low side,or within proper range.Get a Pro that can test ESP and set the correct speed.

Read here for an option to reduce noise; http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176333

Post Likes
    I doubt your getting the 1449 CFM with a 21°F temp diference on a 3 ton unit.

Its a year old now. Time for a service check anyway. Have them check and adjust blower speed if needed.

Post Likes
    Supposedly, they like to use 450-cfm per/ton, on heat pumps. That would be 1350-cfm for a 3-ton HP.

It is not delivering 1449-cfm or 483-cfm per/ton, as stated; 21-TD indicates being on the low CFM side, unless you have a low indoor humidity factor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    I Does your coil have a txv?
    yes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I doubt your getting the 1449 CFM with a 21°F temp diference on a 3 ton unit.

Its a year old now. Time for a service check anyway. Have them check and adjust blower speed if needed.
    is a 21°F temp drop what it should be?

Post Likes
    Goodman has a listing of temp differences at different CFMs.
    But you need both the outdoor unit and indoor coil model number.

My guess, is your moving around 1050 to 1100 CFM.

Your duct system may be too restrictive for your blower to move the 1449 set CFM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Goodman has a listing of temp differences at different CFMs.
    But you need both the outdoor unit and indoor coil model number.
    were would i find the list?

Post Likes
    Goodmans website.
    Click on teh model you have, and download the specs.

Post Likes
    if you return is to loud from being to short. have a company line you return can with acustical insulation, it will reduce the noise by at least 30%.it only takes about a hour or two of labor and the material is cheap

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by furnacemaninc View Post
    if you return is to loud from being to short. have a company line you return can with acustical insulation, it will reduce the noise by at least 30%.it only takes about a hour or two of labor and the material is cheap
    they put what looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides of it on the inside of it. the intake is only about 6 inches long

Post Likes
    boy i love lack of return air and excessive fpm across filter grill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dezerttech View Post
    boy i love lack of return air and excessive fpm across filter grill
    im not a pro but i think i have a lot of return air. i have a 14x25 on the side of the furnace and 4 6inch in the bottom of the furnace. what is fpm

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism9232 View Post
    what is fpm
    FPM is a measure of velocity...in this case air velocity in feet per minute (speed of air).

Where CFM is a measure of volume in Cubic feet per minute (amount of air).

If you know one of these and the square feet of duct area the air is traveling through....you can calculate the other.

Key1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in