Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clueless and need help!

I am new to the forum and clueless when it comes to how this stuff works so I really need some help here. I re-built a large house in the suburbs of New Orleans that was damaged in Katrina. This is what was installed in the house, which is a two story home and about 2700 square feet. Again I am a novice so this is what I purchased to my belief.

Downstairs:

American Standard Allegiance 16 2 speed compressor 4.5 ton
    American Standard Variable Speed Furnace, I believe to be 80,000BTU? It says Freedom 80 Comfort R.
    American Standard brand new aluminum coils

Upstairs:

Upstairs the stuff basically sits on what would be the third floor of the house so I re-used all of the equipment up there which is about 12 years old. I've never been up there so I don't even know what brand it is. I bought a new 2 ton American Standard Allegiance 13 for it.

Problems:

The house is miserable. $7200 in equipment and it's horrible in here, not to mention a $400 energy bill. One of the problems is surely the windows in the house. I only needed to replace 3 of the 18 windows so the windows aren't the greatest. The house was down to the studs on the first floor, and I did the insulation so it's well insulated. Of course it doesn't help that it is 90-95 degrees during the summer.

Ideas:

1. Windows need to go?
    2. Didn't buy big enough for upstairs? 900 square feet up, 1800 down
    3. Thermostats? They look cheap and I know that my parents had a two speed and you could see what speed it was running on. The one upstairs is the cheapest digital type you can buy and the one downstairs is a Honeywell TH5220D. It doesn't say anything in the manual about two speeds so I have no idea if the thermostats the A/C guy installed are any good for these systems?
    4. Bad vent setup? I have hot spots including the master bedroom where it's just really MISERABLE! I have a Weather Channel thermometer and it's impossible to get it cooler than 76 in the room. Just now I did 72 on both thermostats (up and down) and it got to 76 and no better. Both shut off as the thermostats say 72 but the master is now back to 78 with 61% humidity.

Any ideas?

Thanks a million for any help!!

In order to make the assumption that you are undersized, one must have plans showing size, type and location of the windows and doors and insuation R values. Size of exterior walls and the type of sideing and insulation on the exterrior of the home. A good rule of thumb is 1 tons per 400 SQ foot for a newly constructed well insulatated home with double pane windows and as low as 150 to 200 tons for older less insulated homes. The number, size and location of these windows plays a lage part in the determination of this figure.

I understand that's it's not always that easy. I was just hoping something might stick out to someone. The thermostat issue has me intrigued because I never hear the downstairs unit do anything different, it always seems like it is on the same speed. I paid extra for the two speed for a reason, so I am worried that the thermostat isn't controlling it properly.

Does anyone have any recommendations as per the windows? There are 10 horribly WEST facing windows which is bad and they bake in the afternoon. Aside from chaning them which I have no ability to do right now, is there anything else I can do that is inexpensive, worth the time and still looks good?

Thanks again!

You can take the front off the stat and see if there is a y2. if not it isnt going into second stage.

y2? Is that a wire? Sorry I know squat about this stuff!

maybe I said too much.
    Last edited by aintitfun; 07-13-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: removed "help"

Last edited by aintitfun; 07-13-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: removed "help"

OK, thanks. I will check into that when I get home. Is the American Standard Allegiance good equipment? I did some research on it and I thought so, but now I am wondering. I just don't know what to blame for my problems.

Yes, it is good equipment. There are several possibilities as to why you are getting poor performance, Have a technician that you trust come out and check operation, ensure your equipment is going into second stage, and is charged properly.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Yes, it is good equipment. There are several possibilities as to why you are getting poor performance, Have a technician that you trust come out and check operation, ensure your equipment is going into second stage, and is charged properly.
    OK, thanks again. The guy who installed the stuff I love and I assume him to be very good but if he installed the wrong stat for a two speed I think I am going to have to question that????

Are you sure the unit is 4.5 tons. To the best of my knowledge 2 stage units only come in even tonnages.

This is not DIYS

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydp View Post
    You can take the front off the stat and see if there is a y2. if not it isnt going into second stage.
    Jeremy read the rules first. No DIYS Allowed
    Do it right the first time.

Cool yo

come on jeremyyyyyyyyyyyyy....job security budddy job security

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast