Thread: charging unit

charging unit

I would never charge a system with a dirty coil but have seen an a/c tech charge an orfice type system with 10 seer inside coil, 13 seer outside condenser,and a dirty coil.I guess you could weigh in the additional r-22 but can you be certain the condenser has what it claims to have? Also would this be the same considering the unmatched system? He is doing a superheat but I don't see how that can be done with a dirty coil. I'm always trying to learn and this is an excellent place to do just that.Thanks

he did it wrong.

Probably didn't need any refrigerant. Clean the coils and the system woulda worked.

Now its overcharged and the customer has been a victim of the "gas and go"
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Mis-matched units are tricky, but sometimes that's what you've got. If they're dirty, your chances of getting it right go way down. I make sure they're clean, good air flow, and charge them like a normal system, (SH/SC), but I don't always get perfect results.
    Anyone else have more suggestions for getting a mis-match right? I'll take any ideas.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Better measure that airflow before you touch that charge also....clean everything then verify airflow...other wise it will never be right.
    I need a new signature.....

the dirty coil is probably the reason the other compressor failed