Condensate Drain Pan alert on for overflow?

Hello,

I have an air conditioner that was installed in 2001 that came with a Little Giant Pump "Auxillary Condensate Switch" that turns off the air conditioning unit when the condensate level in the condensate drain pan approaches overflow. The problem is that this seems to happen often. Last summer, after numerous times of warm air blowing out of the ducts, I called for service. The technician checked everything and couldn't find anything. This year, the same thing is happening and I haven't had the A/C on much this season (partly because of this problem). Last night when I turned it on, warm air was blowing out (realized the unit had turned off so must have been the fan). But this afternoon, I turned it on and it's fine. What do I do when the drain pan is approaching overflow? Can I empty it myself manually somehow? Can I get a larger drain pan installed or some system so the pan can drain automatically (unit is in the attic which is not very accessible)?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by nichols555 View Post
    I have an air conditioner that was installed in 2001 that came with a Little Giant Pump "Auxillary Condensate Switch" that turns off the air conditioning unit when the condensate level in the condensate drain pan approaches overflow.
    I don't understand. If you have a pump, it should pump away the condensate.

If all you have is a pan and an emergency off switch, you have an install that does not meet code. Your pan should either have a condensate drain or a pump.

If it is filling up, either the drain is clogged or the pump is broken. A competent technician should be able to fix either.

-HF

Thanks for your comments. I'm not 100% sure if I have a pump or not - sorry for the confusing comment about "Little Giant Pump" - I was quoting the name of the company.

I'm not sure if it meets code or not. I bought the house when it was already installed.

Assuming the drain is clogged, is this something that I can determine or would I need to bring a company out here to figure that out?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Have your service guy check the unit by pouring water in the drain pan. The water should drain quickly and not trip the switch. Your condensate drain may be running a little slow. If so he should be able to find then resolve the problem.
    Mike

mgould2 gave good advice make sure there is a vent bebind the p-trapp,if the line is clean this will help it drain while the unit is running,with out the vent the condensate might flow very little until the unit shuts off and then it could over flow in the pan

Float switch on the pump may be out of adjustment,may let the level get to high before pump turns on.