radiator heat or heat pump?

I'm totally ignorant about this, and so would appreciate any information or sites that I could go to to get more information. In our 1920's home in VA we currently have a gravity radiator heating system and a two zone lennox a/c. Both need to be replaced (the boiler is original and is operating pretty inefficiently to say the least). Someone suggested combining the two systems into one and installing a heat pump for the heat and simply use the existing a.c. ducts to deliver the heat and ac, and essentially shutting off the radiator system.

I had always heard that radiator heat is among the best. But now I'm wondering if I should move into the 21st century and go with something like a carrier infinity system with a humidifer. Or simply keep with the two separate systems.

Any thoughts, philosophical or practical would be very appreciated. I'm willing to be educated.

Thanks

Post your electric and gas rate(gussing you have a gas boiler)

Depending on rates. Might be advisable to have both.

Your home won't feel as cozy with a heat pump as it does with those radiators.

Its possible to have teh heat pump for the milder temps, 30 and above, and switch to teh boiler for temps below 30, and still save a large amount of money on your heating bill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

radiator heat versus heat pump

Thanks for the thought. Our gas heating bill in the winter seems outrageous to me....sometimes up to $600/mth and we just replaced all of the windows in the house. The house isn't all that big, relatively speaking. We do have 5 bedrooms upstairs and 5-6 rooms downstairs. And the front of our house has an enclosed unheated/uncooled porch which should serve as a bit of an insulator. Our most recent electric bill for the a.c. was $270...and it wasn't terribly hot during the entire month.

I do find that the good thing about two zones for the a.c. is that we can regulate each floor. With the radiators, our upstairs is often hot and our downstairs is often chilly in the winter. I was thinking that with two zone heating, it might help a bit. But that's interesting what you say about the house not being as toasty with a heat pump. I had heard that...but this HVAC guy seemed to think that my view related to older technology.

If your radiators have valves on them, you can throttle down the upstairs so both floors are a more even temp.
    As it gets coler out those rads throw a fairly constant heat.
    A heat pumps discharge air temp drops as it gets colder out. You won't feel as comfortable.

I have a couple installs simuliar to yours.
    We have the heat pump set up as primary heat. With electric heat for defrost cycles only.
    We set them up to use the boiler as the aux heat, so the people still have that more constant heat from the rads when it 20° or colder outside.

This set up gives the best economy and comfort mix for older homes.

Some of them we lock the heat pump out at 30° outdoor temp, if the people don't like the air temp from the registers.
    Contractor locator map

If your radiators have valves on them, you can throttle down the upstairs so both floors are a more even temp.
    As it gets coler out those rads throw a fairly constant heat.
    A heat pumps discharge air temp drops as it gets colder out. You won't feel as comfortable.

I have a couple installs simuliar to yours.
    We have the heat pump set up as primary heat. With electric heat for defrost cycles only.
    We set them up to use the boiler as the aux heat, so the people still have that more constant heat from the rads when it 20 or colder outside.

This set up gives the best economy and comfort mix for older homes.

Some of them we lock the heat pump out at 30 outdoor temp, if the people don't like the air temp from the registers.
    Contractor locator map