How to find a good contractor !

From everything I've been reading on this very informative forum it is becoming pretty clear that having your HVAC installed properly is just as important as quality of the HVAC itself.

How would a total newb go about finding a good, reliable contractor who knows what they are doing -- is there any web site with reviews ? I've used ServiceMagic on couple of occasions but not sure how good it really is.

Thank you very much for your help !

Davie.

stop by a local supply house and ask someone who has worked at the counter for many years who they would use to do their HVAC work

That is a really good question.

I think that the problem with most reviews is that John Q. Public is often not a good judge of a quality installation.

As one of the more informed members of John Q. Public, I suggest you ask any prospective contractor at least some of these questions.

1. Is a manual J a normal procedure for your new installs?
    2. Do you use micron gauges for new installs?
    3. Do your technicians receive regular training?

Don't expect to get the lowest bid from a contractor that can honestly answer yes to al of the above. But, you should get a contractor that takes pride in their work.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Replacing,new construction,or adding A/C??

Any issues wit an existing system?

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    Don't expect to get the lowest bid from a contractor that can honestly answer yes to al of the above. But, you should get a contractor that takes pride in their work.

That again is the problem...how do you know they are giving honest answers?

My experience has been that you have to look under a rock to find a contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    That again is the problem...how do you know they are giving honest answers?
    There are never any guarantees in life. In my very limited experience - All of the HVAC contractors that I have worked with have been very honest. Most of them have been knowledgeable enough for the typical system repairs. None of them would have been able to answer yes to all three of the questions that I listed.

If they do answer yes, then they have no choice but to do a manual J, show up with micron gauges and know to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Replacing,new construction,or adding A/C??

Any issues wit an existing system?
    Existing system (12 yr old Rheem single speed 80% furnace) works "fine", but it is getting older and less efficient, uses archaic humidifier. I am upgrading to high efficiency 2-stage natural gas furnace/heat pump/on demand water heater. With rising gas prices (I think lots of people will be for quite a shock this winter) savings on natural gas alone should pretty much pay for the system.

Davie.

Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    My experience has been that you have to look under a rock to find a contractor.
    I found some contractors with ServiceMagic, some of them have very high ratings. But then again, they are rated by a J6P on how punctual they have been, etc. More and more it seems like a gamble to me

Some one knowledgable in Manuals J,D,and S,is always a good sign.

Looking for the contractor with the largest service dept.,I think is also a good sign,but there can be smaller shops of equal or better work.

www.acca.org www.nate.org those listed would be a good start,but not for sure every time.

IMHO it's very difficult for a homeowner to judge.

I think air2spare has a good idea!
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

NATE

This is the site i think you wanted http://www.natex.org/
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chlosum View Post
    This is the site i think you wanted http://www.natex.org/
    Thanks,you are right!